One by me and one by my son.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aldjmc

aldjmc

Budget Cigar Walnut.jpg
Maple Leaf Click Cocobolo.jpg

My son is home from University and while waiting to get called to work he made the Cigar pen with a walnut blank. It has a "natural" finish of some oil and wax. It was his second pen and now he has caught the penturning bug. I made the Maple Leaf Click pen with a cocobolo blank and attempted a CA finish. Neither pen is perfect and neither are the pictures as we are also working on our photo techniques!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice work !! ... both of you !!

Two attractive pens ... from two "not-so-easy" woods !

That's a very nice set of pens. The photography is great as using a contrasting color for your background really helps with those of us who have issues with color. Nice job to the both of you.

aldjmc

That's a very nice set of pens. The photography is great as using a contrasting color for your background really helps with those of us who have issues with color. Nice job to the both of you.
Thanks, both shots are on the "bright side" - too much light from the flash. I did a bit of work adjusting them on my computer, but it was a Friday night and there was good whisky available!

aldjmc

Nice job on the pens - both look great - best part is you and your son doing it together!
[/QUOTE]
Ya it's great hanging out with him and it reminds me of this great Mark Twain quote: "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the he had learned in seven years."

sorcerertd

Those are very nice. I love working with cocobolo. It's naturally oily enough to not need any CA but I like the light coat you did there it doesn't completely fill the pores. It will retain that natural wood feel.

I really like the maple leaf pen and was curious where you got the kit. I found them at william wood-write, but a quick search doesn't turn up anything in "The States", or anywhere for that matter. Is there a brand name on them or do you know if they manufacture their own?

I see there's a blue version that's perfect for Labatt's fans. :)

aldjmc

I got them from William Wood-write a few weeks ago... I don't know much about brand names or who makes what so I can't comment on that, or on the quality. We've been buying the "budget" kits.

As an aside, I used to play on a local men's league hockey team called The Blues - sponsored by Labatt's (but really we sponsored them) I might have to find that blue kit!

Top Bottom