Once a Jolly Swagman camped by a Billabong under the shade of a COOLIBAR TREE burl form.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

a glorious tree of infinite variety in the timber,love the character it displays.

Peter.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

Thank you for the great picture and timely connection to Waltzing Matilda.
According to Wikipedia:
"...Waltzing Matilda Day [is] to be held on 6 April, the anniversary of its first performance."

Jay

Great job Peter.
Waltzing Matilda was adopted by the 1st Marine Division as its battle hym. (sans words)
Jay

egnald

Fantastic looking pen as always.
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

PS I have been meaning to tell you, there is a fellow in Arizona that turns pens from historic wood that came from the Florence Mill at the Mormon Winters Quarters on the north side of Omaha, NE.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful timber Peter. I always enjoy seeing what emerges from your stash. Splendid finished pen. Thanks and be well!

Kcimdrib

Peter another beautifully turned pen you always show your ability to turn wood.
And make a great pen from a basic slimline kit very well done .

PenPal

Fantastic looking pen as always.
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

PS I have been meaning to tell you, there is a fellow in Arizona that turns pens from historic wood that came from the Florence Mill at the Mormon Winters Quarters on the north side of Omaha, NE.
Dave two cousins of mine became Latter Day Saints one group in 1841 in Scotland who left for upper New York settled then made their own wagon and travel with Brigham Young to Salt Lake ,relatives all round.The second family joined that year and 6 or so years later went to theUSA and joined the Martin Hancock party using handcarts to SLC. The father passed away near the Florence Mill so long ago. Lot of history there. In the 1700,s a cousin married before her husband received a call to be the 6th President of Princeton University,the 24 th signature on the Declaration of Independance, they lived in Scotland when the call came.Wilma and I have pursued our family history from early marriage in 1955 and seriously since 9 yrs later as LDS in 1962. We celebrate 66 yrs married this July.Thanks mate a friend gave me a piece of the Old Mill and I put it away safely waiting to make that special pen,it is so carefully put it has not surfaced.

Peter.

egnald

Dave two cousins of mine became Latter Day Saints one group in 1841 in Scotland who left for upper New York settled then made their own wagon and travel with Brigham Young to Salt Lake ,relatives all round.The second family joined that year and 6 or so years later went to theUSA and joined the Martin Hancock party using handcarts to SLC. The father passed away near the Florence Mill so long ago. Lot of history there. In the 1700,s a cousin married before her husband received a call to be the 6th President of Princeton University,the 24 th signature on the Declaration of Independance, they lived in Scotland when the call came.Wilma and I have pursued our family history from early marriage in 1955 and seriously since 9 yrs later as LDS in 1962. We celebrate 66 yrs married this July.Thanks mate a friend gave me a piece of the Old Mill and I put it away safely waiting to make that special pen,it is so carefully put it has not surfaced.

Peter.
Peter,

That is fascinating family history. I always think of you whenever I am in the Florence area. The mill is the only surviving building that was built by the Mormons. It is on the road I take when going to the Omaha airport. It was built in 1946 and operated into the 1960's. It was listed on the US National Register of Historic Places in 1998 under the name "Weber Mill". Through time it has also been known as the "Mormon Mill, Grist Mill, and Old Pink Mill". It is now operated as the "Winter Quarters Mill Museum and ArtLoft Gallery".

I have become the family historian for my clan. I have not been as diligent as I should be. There are not many male Lange members left in my grandfather's lineage. Just myself and my two sons. I am trying to document the family story for them, but now in their early 20's they don't have much interest. I'm sure that will change at some time in the future.

Regards,
Dave

PenPal

Peter,

That is fascinating family history. I always think of you whenever I am in the Florence area. The mill is the only surviving building that was built by the Mormons. It is on the road I take when going to the Omaha airport. It was built in 1946 and operated into the 1960's. It was listed on the US National Register of Historic Places in 1998 under the name "Weber Mill". Through time it has also been known as the "Mormon Mill, Grist Mill, and Old Pink Mill". It is now operated as the "Winter Quarters Mill Museum and ArtLoft Gallery".

I have become the family historian for my clan. I have not been as diligent as I should be. There are not many male Lange members left in my grandfather's lineage. Just myself and my two sons. I am trying to document the family story for them, but now in their early 20's they don't have much interest. I'm sure that will change at some time in the future.

Regards,
Dave
Fortunately Dave our third daughter has lived in Utah for over thirty years now and took up the position of family search person,lives about
two hours out of SLC. One day at Church a really old guy like me tapped on her shoulder and said I am your cousin,at first she was worried because she is so accurate she has corrected errors on Family Search over many years,not so and they had a lovely reunion.This daughter has written a few books on family with more coming.

Warren White

Beautiful pen (of course, since that is true of ALL your pens). I really enjoyed learning about your family and their history.

Always a treat seeing what you have done.

Best wishes, my friend and brother.

Top Bottom