On the Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Here it is on the lathe----roughed out---ready to shape---and a pic of the bed extension.
Gee I got to get back to that dang bench I am building.

2008129164910_lathe4.jpg

200812916500_lathe2.jpg

2008129165053_lathe3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

The angle of the wangle is a bit confusing on those pictures. [xx(]
But still very impressive. Knocking off that branch on the side must have been and adventure. Where is your ourboard tool rest?
BTW, I love a shop with tools that actually look like they are used. A messy shop is a loved shop.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by kent4Him

I hope you roughed it out as slow as your lathe turns. I can only imagine the pain of the getting that thing balanced.

Naw, just need to put stand attached to the lathe so you go with it while it walks across the floor!

Gary Max

Ron ----the pith will be fine---I am running out of CA:D---I am going to try something new for me----the branch Frank asked about---of course that's a crotch also---has a good size void----I am planning on doing a real neat inlay---if it works?????????
Oh for those of you that wanted to ask---the bench is coming nicely should be done mid-day Weds.
Friday we are packing/setting up-- for a show-- so this week there ain't much free time.

R2

That has been interesting from the beginning. Was there any way that you could have trimmed the blank in such a fashion as to remove much of the weight and get it roughly shaped before mounting? Using a chainsaw perhaps??
I await the results of yoyr labours with baited breath!:):D

Gary Max

R2----I started at 150rpms within 30 minutes we where kicking up dust at 500rpms---my thoughts about turning something this big---it's just showing off---there is very little market for something this big. I could of cut it in half and been ahead of the game. I have a real big show coming up this fall---that's where this piece will go.
You can't wait till the last minute to build inventory.

rhahnfl

Yeah... it's never too early to build inventory. I can't believe the size of that but have no doubt that you'll easily find a buyer when you show it. Shoot... the price was right if you got it off the dump pile. It really must be a thrill to turn something of that or the drums size. Be sure to take more pics!!! ;)

jhs494

Gary thank you very much for sharing the pics. That is awesome! Having been in the machine shop for years know I have seen oodles of stuff large and small mounted and machined. But that is the largest piece I have ever seen done on a woodlathe. Very impressive.
I can only imagine how those first cuts are until You get it somewhat round.
Keep up the impressive work, and thanks again for sharing..:)

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Gary Max

R2----I started at 150rpms within 30 minutes we where kicking up dust at 500rpms---my thoughts about turning something this big---it's just showing off---there is very little market for something this big. I could of cut it in half and been ahead of the game. I have a real big show coming up this fall---that's where this piece will go.
You can't wait till the last minute to build inventory.

Gary, as I'm sure you know, in the art world, you can't have too big or too unusual. That will be a focus or center of attraction at your show. Put a huge price tag on it. Some show-off will flash his platinum and buy it. [:p]

Top Bottom