Olivewood from George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenGoblin

PenGoblin

I've been busy with school and orders so i haven't had time to post any pens yet. But now, since Christmas I finally have a chance to post some pens!

This one is an Olivewood Gem from George on a Corinthians 13:13 kit from Wood World of Texas.

Attachments

• 20171226_142807.jpg
    20171226_142807.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 20171226_142723.jpg
    20171226_142723.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

We ran across a good source of olivewood. TJ Maxx and Home Goods stores had some very nice Italian olivewood burl cutting boards at very discounted prices. We will get about 30 or more blanks out of it for a fraction of what we usually give.

Worth a look in your area.

Nice work on your pen, pengoblin.

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi Rebecca (PenGoblin),

You picked a nice kit for that Olivewood blank, well done...!:)

On a side note, try to avoid background contrasts in your pics that "detract" the pen/item you want to be the main focus of the image, in this case, the "yellowish" colours messing up the wood natural colours.

I'm sure you know what I mean and know that I'm only trying to give you constructive criticism, which is a common "reaction" of mine...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

jennera

Hi Rebecca (PenGoblin),

You picked a nice kit for that Olivewood blank, well done...!:)

On a side note, try to avoid background contrasts in your pics that "detract" the pen/item you want to be the main focus of the image, in this case, the "yellowish" colours messing up the wood natural colours.

I'm sure you know what I mean and know that I'm only trying to give you constructive criticism, which is a common "reaction" of mine...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Excellent advice! Unfortunately, we are away from home and made do with what we had. We will get a better photo when we are back home with my photo tent as we have a few to photograph to try and sell. This one has been added to my personal collection since I didn't have one with the beautiful olivewood you had sent! Sorry the photo did not show off the coloring and grain of the wood very well, that one is on me! :redface:

She spent some time with her Grandpa today learning to turn bowls from some pine scraps he had. Nothing fancy but got her started. She will post those photos soon I think.

Dehn0045

Well done! I like how you can see the flow of the grain between the barrels. That's something I have failed to get right more often than I'd like to admit.

robutacion

Excellent advice! Unfortunately, we are away from home and made do with what we had. We will get a better photo when we are back home with my photo tent as we have a few to photograph to try and sell. This one has been added to my personal collection since I didn't have one with the beautiful olivewood you had sent! Sorry the photo did not show off the coloring and grain of the wood very well, that one is on me! :redface:

She spent some time with her Grandpa today learning to turn bowls from some pine scraps he had. Nothing fancy but got her started. She will post those photos soon I think.

Hi Jennera,

Sure, I understand and I haven't made the comment because was one of my blanks, not at all, I know exactly how it looks as if I had it in my hand, however, not everybody knows Olive wood better grains and colours but more importantly, is the ability to show your work in such way that will produce that wow factor that we so often see in here, however, and let me make this very clear, I'm no photographer nor I have any special equipemnt, my camera is a $400 oldish Kodak and my pics are far from good, I admite, I take lots of pics all of the time so, I produce quantity but poor quality compared to what I see here sometimes but, I got myself off track here, what I wanted to say is that there are and have been people here presenting pics that were taken with a mobile phone and or simple cameras but that were able to understand and utilised the best and correct settings for their close-ups and so many times, the pen been hold or seating in one's hand or props of the most simple nature but is the purity of the clarity and the light that make everybody go wow when a good job was done with a pen particularly the finish that tends to always jump out.

True has to be said that, not all great close up pics shown the best-made pens, these are 2 very different issues being able to combine both the final result is always the most accurate tool for the "artist" to show his/her "piece"...!

Keep posting Jennera...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom