Olive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Took time off and busted out this little 4 x 3 Olive wood vessel. doesn't have any finish vet, going to finish in Pure Tung Oil.
This is local California Olive from my friends ranch in Esclon, California , was cut two years ago and ready now for tuning.

IMG_4227.jpgIMG_4226.jpgIMG_4228.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My first pen I ever turned was from olive wood... it's flawed and not all that good, but I still use it. My garage smelled like olives for a couple of days. If I hold it close to my nose can still smell the olive smell and it's been nearly 20 years.

Recently bought a chunk from my local wood supplier and made up two crank operated pepper mills....6" midi style.
344046-47 (1).JPG

sbwertz

My husband was driving along and noticed the city cutting some branches from a big olive tree that was too close to power lines. He stopped and asked if he could have some of the logs. Came home with a trunk full! Have to dry a while, but it's really pretty grain.

sbwertz

My first pen I ever turned was from olive wood... it's flawed and not all that good, but I still use it. My garage smelled like olives for a couple of days. If I hold it close to my nose can still smell the olive smell and it's been nearly 20 years.

Recently bought a chunk from my local wood supplier and made up two crank operated pepper mills....6" midi style.
View attachment 314195
My carry pen in olive with turquoise inlay in a big knot.

Last edited:

Dieseldoc

Did you stabilize that crack before turning? I would have been terrified that that would catch/blow out. Beautiful product!
Just used a little epoxy as I was starting to form the vessel. Then near finish size re epoxy the cracks. didn't stabilize. used a Pure Tung oil finish, ten coats and then buffed out. Photo's attached are before Tung Oil finish.

Top Bottom