Olive Wood Cigar Satin Gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings IAP,

Here is another Cigar I made today. It is a Bethlehem Olive Blank and Satin Gold Cigar kit both from Woodturningz. Although it doesn't show up very good in the photos because of the reflection there is a knot on the lower section that adds a lot of character.

I used Viva paper towels to apply the CA finish on this one. The finish came out much smoother than the Whisky Barrel I made earlier today using the Bounty paper towels. I probably should have used another Oak Whisky Barrel blank to make it though so I could be sure the difference was from the brand of paper towel and not the wood species, especially since Oak has such a large and open grain. In any case, I like how the pen turned out.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

IMG_1168 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1165 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1166 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1167 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Nice. I just bought the same blank. Will be doing it for a gift, anything particular to know about this wood?

All in all I found it to be a very easy turn. On the hardness scale that I looked at it rated somewhere around Oak, but I think it turned like something much softer - it would have been easy to get too aggressive. Since it is an oily wood so I cleaned it with Denatured Alcohol before glue and finish to take off any surface oil.

Good luck - I hope you can post a picture for us when you get done. - Regards, Dave

Last edited:
All in all I found it to be a very easy turn. On the hardness scale that I looked at it rated somewhere around Oak, but I think it turned like something much softer - it would have been easy to get too aggressive. Since it is an oily wood so I cleaned it with Denatured Alcohol before glue and finish to take off any surface oil.

Good luck - I hope you can post a picture for us when you get done. - Regards, Dave
OK, thanks. I always see denatured alchohol used, can mineral spirits be used instead?

egnald

OK, thanks. I always see denatured alchohol used, can mineral spirits be used instead?
I know that mineral spirits can be used to clean wood and can even se it to clean off sanding dust between coats of polyurethane. It also takes much longer to dry than denatured alcohol (perhaps about 30 minutes). I also think that it might leave an oily residue behind as it is a byproduct of petroleum production.

Denatured Alcohol does not leave any oily residue and it dries / evaporates much faster.

I think a better alternative for removing surface oils on wood prior to gluing or finishing would be acetone. I always keep a 1-cup glass jar of acetone in the shop as it is an excellent solvent for many plastics - including cyanoacrylate, i.e. CA Glue. I pop my HDPE Non-Stick bushings into the jar after using them to effectively dissolve away any leftover CA on the bushings. I also use it to clean up the cap on my CA glue bottle whenever it gets gobbed up with dried on glue. I just unscrew the cap and drop it in my jar for 10 minutes or so and viola, just like new.

Although I always keep acetone on hand, my first choice for cleaning oily woods though is Denatured Alcohol. It just doesn't seem to be as harsh or nasty as acetone. I use the Sunnyside brand and get them both in quart cans at our local Menards here in Nebraska.

I know that mineral spirits can be used to clean wood and can even se it to clean off sanding dust between coats of polyurethane. It also takes much longer to dry than denatured alcohol (perhaps about 30 minutes). I also think that it might leave an oily residue behind as it is a byproduct of petroleum production.

Denatured Alcohol does not leave any oily residue and it dries / evaporates much faster.

I think a better alternative for removing surface oils on wood prior to gluing or finishing would be acetone. I always keep a 1-cup glass jar of acetone in the shop as it is an excellent solvent for many plastics - including cyanoacrylate, i.e. CA Glue. I pop my HDPE Non-Stick bushings into the jar after using them to effectively dissolve away any leftover CA on the bushings. I also use it to clean up the cap on my CA glue bottle whenever it gets gobbed up with dried on glue. I just unscrew the cap and drop it in my jar for 10 minutes or so and viola, just like new.

Although I always keep acetone on hand, my first choice for cleaning oily woods though is Denatured Alcohol. It just doesn't seem to be as harsh or nasty as acetone. I use the Sunnyside brand and get them both in quart cans at our local Menards here in Nebraska.
Good info. Have been using acetone to clean the bushings also. Have just been wiping after sanding with rag. Will get the denatured alcohol.

Top Bottom