Olive Wood Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fishman

One more question that came up in regard to a Wild Olive Wood blank I got from a local store.

I was told two different things, and hope I can get it cleared up.

Is it true that Olive Wood is super oily and a CA finish won't stick to it? Looking to make a gift out of it and I want to make sure it's going to last and come out good.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

CA will indeed stick to Olive wood. . Olive wood is a little more oily than most other woods but CA does work on it.
In fact, some people recommend mixing a little oil (usually boiled linseed oil) with the CA and applying that as your finish.
I have tried that and, surprisingly, it does work. . So if you hear of using a BLO-CA mix, that's what they are talking about.
However, I do my CA finishes on all wood blanks without adding any oil.

Olive wood is a lovely wood to work with. . It cuts very nicely with lathe tools and it finishes up beautifully. . It also has a nice smell and feel.

leehljp

Member Liaison
No, Olive wood is not super oily - which is a relative term. I have used considerable ebony blanks that make olive moisture seem like water. I have made dozens and dozens of olive wood and I have never had a problem with CA sticking to it. IF the wood is green - cut in the last 6 months and (not kiln or air dried in a attic) you might have a bit of trouble due more to inexperience in techniques. Use some acetone to wipe it off if it is wet and finish it.

I have a brother in law in CA (Calif.) that used to have olive trees on his farm, and he cut some branches for me to make pens for his family. So I received olive wood that was "green" so to speak. I would put them in the microwave and turn it on for 10 - 12 seconds and wait 10 to 15 minutes for them to cool, and do it again. Over a couple of hours it was dry enough to make pens with it and I used CA as the finish. That was 10 or 11 years ago. They still have and use the pens and the CA finish is still on them.

fishman

Thanks all, this makes me feel better. My whole plan was to use the Olive Wood blank as it was the perfect look, so I was troubled when I was told this (which is the first I heard it). Good to know it won't be a problem, and that even 10 years later it's holding up!

Without a moisture meter, is there anyway for me to know if it's dry enough? I bought it as a pen blank from a local store, and they said it's ready to turn, especially if I've going to coat it with a CA finish. It was also one of the few blanks that's coated in wax though, so now I'm not sure. I would think the precut pen blanks would be ready, but what do you think? I don't want it to crack or have any issues after I give it as a gift.

keithbyrd

Thanks all, this makes me feel better. My whole plan was to use the Olive Wood blank as it was the perfect look, so I was troubled when I was told this (which is the first I heard it). Good to know it won't be a problem, and that even 10 years later it's holding up!

Without a moisture meter, is there anyway for me to know!if it's dry enough? I bought it as a pen blank from a local store, and they said it's ready to turn, especially if I've going to coat it with a CA finish. It was also one of the few blanks that's coated in wax though, so now I'm not sure. I would think the precut pen blanks would be ready, but what do you think? I don't want it to crack or have any issues after I give it as a gift.
By the time you finish turning the wood will be so thin I doubt if it could actually hold moisture! I turned a box elder pen within hours of cutting the tree down 11 years ago - still working greatI

penicillin

If you bought it from a local store, wax coated, then it is almost certainly ready to turn. A CA finish will work well on it.

I have turned quite a few olive wood pens. Olive wood pens are some of the prettiest, nicest pens I have made. The rich color of the wood and unpredictable grain make it a delightful wood for pens. Olive wood has a pleasant fragrance when you turn it, like fresh olive oil. I always wear a dust mask, but it is still noticeable.

bertha

An alternative is zero finish if you want to retain the natural look . Just use a few drops of olive oil on a soft cloth to clean it as necessary .
Agree
o.png
o.png

Top Bottom