Olive wood and ebony hybrid - modified slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I started turning an olive wood blank and when almost done a knot near the nib end came out. I didn't want to waste such a precious piece of wood, especailly since I only have a limited quantity. I decided to cut the barrel back to a point where it was much thicker. Then I cut a piece of ebony of the right size to complete the end of the pen. The problem is that the chances of sticking the 2 together is slim and none! So I cut a round hole in the back at a size to fit over the barrel and the right depth to get the correct finished length. Then I glued the 2 together. Now I was able to return to the lathe. When the ebony is turned down to meet the olive wood it is not longer attached to the olive wood but fits perfectly on the finished pen - see attached. This is the first time that I have tried this and definitely not the last. In fact I already have another one to fix.

Attachments

• 2023-06-01_13-58-57.jpg
    2023-06-01_13-58-57.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 2023-06-01_13-59-50.jpg
    2023-06-01_13-59-50.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 125
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

In attempting the fix of a second pen (LV) I realized that it isn't necessary to glue the new end piece to the existing barrel. It would be held in place on the lathe. Since in turning, the end piece it becomes separate from the barrel why not simply start that way, which is what I did. Naturally, the end result is the same if all goes to plan. The critical dimension is the size of the round mortice into which the barrel is inserted. In this, it pays to cut the barrel back to a convenient size of Forstner bit leaving just enough room for the barrel to fit right to the bottom of the mortice with minimal play around the outside of the barrel. I do all of my drilling on the lathe. Otherwise you may be dealing with an out of round problem when turning. Like so many things in woodworking, some trial and error is needed. The other dimension is roughly how far back do you want to go on the barrel to affect the repair and at the same time produce a pleasing result. Now having done 2, I am at least well up the learning curve.

Top Bottom