Older Craftsman lathe vs. a new Delta 46-460

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ran across this older Craftsman lathe for cheap so I went ahead and picked it up figuring I can just sell it if it's not worth fixing. I've got a Delta 46-460 with extension on the way but happened to find this one while I was waiting for it to get here. The Craftsman can turn 15" regular and 20" I guess on the reverse side, w/ a 38" spindle length while the Delta only turns 12 1/2 " w/ a 42" spindle. Both have a dial for continuous speed adjustment, CM 400-2000 and Delta 250-4000, with the Delta having reverse.

Questions is...is the CM worth the extra 2 1/2" turning diameter while giving up reverse, but saving about $500 after refurbishing?

What needs replacing on the CM is the tail stock mount as it's very dulled and probably the motor bearings. Hopefully I can post this vid. Is that a bad bearing I'm hearing?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've had a "knock off" Craftsman lathe for well over 30 years now. It's probably very similar to what Grizzly sells. But, it's rock solid and will turn anything I want to turn. Will I ever get rid of it? NO WAY!!! I can drop a couple hundred bucks on it if needed and have it as good as new. It's got no plastic on it except for the switch, belt cover and the tightening screws. I learned how to turn on a Craftsman, probably 70 years old now, the lathe that is, and when my father in law asked me if I wanted it I told him "No", I'm still kicking myself now. My suggestion to you is fix it up, give it a shot and learn to turn on it. I think you'll enjoy its ease and abilities. Good luck on your turning.

dogcatcher

I may be wrong, but I believe that Craftsman lathe had a lot of problems. Now the problem could be worse, there might not be parts or support. I would do research on the model number, you also might check on Sawmill Creek forum.

Curly

Personally I would avoid the Craftsman. It has been out of production for a while and finding someone able to get in and diagnose and replace circuit board parts is not easy. If there is a motor problem beyond bearings you can't get a replacement.

I am also dubious of the Delta as the last version of that lathe was not supported shortly after it was discontinued leaving people stuck without parts like circuit boards. I would look to lathes that have companies with a longer track record of support or are of a simpler design that can accept substitute parts more readily.

Jet and Rikon have better track records and Nova has been around a long time and still support models discontinued long ago. I have a Nova 3000 which is 25 to 30 years old. It is a belt changer and should I want variable speed I could mount a North American 3 phase motor and VFD (variable frequency drive) or an imported one and it would be as good as anything else in it's size range. I can also buy a variable speed motor from Nova to put in the lathe if you wanted a simple conversion at a price and it would be equal to their DVR series lathes.

Delta was a name you could trust a couple decades ago but now like Stanley, Rockwell, Porter Cable etc they are just names bean counters play with to get quick money from.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really learning the lesson now to just consult before I make any purchases. I was hooked on the 15-20" turning capacity and didn't want it to get away. Little too anxious to set up my little shop I guess.

On the Delta, it's funny, I've had very positive suggestions that it's a good machine, and warnings not to get involved for the same non-support issues you mentioned Curly. I was rady to get a Nova Comet II but the one found was 220v and I assumed all of them were, so I pivoted for the Delta. Now that I know that they come in 110 I'm thinking about returning the Delta when it gets here and ordering the Nova. Ugh, feels like I'm playing a game of musical equipment. Really glad to have the guidance though.

Curly

Those Comets are on sale from one Canadian distributor for a hundred off and come with a chuck . You might wan to see if similar offers can be had near you.

Top Bottom