OLD WOOD!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I was given a piece of wood. Not uncommon for me overall, but this piece is at least 100 years old! Yes it is Pine and it was salvaged from a church, I was told. However, Is this good to turn for pens? Knife Scales?

Attachments

• 20220624_094103.jpg
    20220624_094103.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220624_094110.jpg
    20220624_094110.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 111
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I was given a much large piece, the photos are a piece that was a cut-off for the large piece. That piece is 30"x15"x 2 1/2. I believe it was a floor joist in the building it was salvaged from.

Kenny Durrant

It's not the age of the wood but the shape it's in. That looks pretty solid to me. You mentioned the size. The only thing that might dictate to use it for pens is the tightness of the grain. The wood is pretty but if it's not a tight grain it might get turned off by the time your pen is to size. You could always cut it cross grain and that would make the end grains pop when the light hits it. Sounds like you have plenty to play with. Good Luck.

Madman1978

It's not the age of the wood but the shape it's in. That looks pretty solid to me. You mentioned the size. The only thing that might dictate to use it for pens is the tightness of the grain. The wood is pretty but if it's not a tight grain it might get turned off by the time your pen is to size. You could always cut it cross grain and that would make the end grains pop when the light hits it. Sounds like you have plenty to play with. Good Luck.
But do I have the blades that will last? lol This is some dense stuff

sorcerertd

It's amazing how much harder and tight grained the wood is in historic age buildings. I can't imagine it would be any harder than many of the exotics that you have probably worked with at some point.

MRDucks2

Always seems like the old pine more solid resin/sap retention than the new stuff. It will turn fine and I have sanded pieces to an almost silky smoothness. Just be careful to not use or not be aggressive with coarse grits of sandpaper. It can introduce deep scratches that will be hard to remove. Also use a more gentle pressure when sanding or can remove more from the softer white wood areas than the darker rings.

leehljp

Member Liaison
IF it has resin in it, bake it for about 2 hours at 160°. That will cure the resin in the wood. But I doubt it has resin in it or you would have seen signs of it already.

IF you do cross cut grain, it might be good to stabilize the grain. Even if it is old pine, humidity changes can create minuscule movement, which is more prevalent in cross grain cuts.

low_48

I picked up a 120 year old pine window sill. When I tried to sand it, the sandpaper lasted less than a minute. I finally changed paper and wet sanded with mineral spirits.

Top Bottom