Old threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

So I was watching a show and someone was talking about their mother liking stuff on Instagram from six months ago. It got me wondering how far back in the forums is it acceptable to pull up an old thread?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I don't think it is as much date limited as it is content limited. Someone commenting on or asking a question about a 10 year old post doesn't seem to me to cause any harm, and can bring up new conversation or ideas on the fly for we newer members.

Someone answering a 10 year old question seems a little silly to me.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been on a couple of forums where the old hats would prefer one bring up an old (years old) thread than post a new one that was similar. Their reasoning was: We answered it already! Do a search and don't bother us! Not exactly forum friendly to newbies.

On the other hand, it would be nice if people who pulled up old threads to post on - if they would acknowledge it being an old thread at the beginning of their post to the old thread. . . Something like: "I know this is an old thread but could you help me understand . . ." or "This is an old thread and I am having similar problem but a little different. . .",.

And on another forum, I see old threads being pulled up on occasion by spammers trying to relate their sales to a years old post.

Lucky2

Personally, I would put no time limit on bringing up an old posting, especially, if it were pertinent to the new posting or question being asked. And yes, I agree with Lee, the person bringing the old posting to the forefront, should clearly make it known that it is an old posting from whenever.

Len

jttheclockman

I too agree if you acknowledge that it an old post. What happens is the OP may not be with the site any more and if you ask questions they will not see it and now you hope someone else will jump in.,and also many times people have already commented on the question and now they are repeating themselves within the post. It not our job to comb through the old post and see if we answered the question before. Also if you do want to bring up an old post how about reading through the thread and see if your question has been answered and not just go by a title. This is in no way a discouragement of bring up old posts.

To me starting your own thread is the better way to go. Sure questions get asked over and over and they will always be that way on all forums. Now it is up to whomever to decide if they want to answer or not. But i have mentioned this time and time again, It is not so much the same question getting asked over and over it is the answers get shorter and shorter for the above reasons. Then what happens alot of valuable info has been left out that may have been covered in more detail in a previous thread. I know it is a TABOO saying here but do yourself a favor and do a search using some of the same words you used in the thread. Now that we are on a new site hopefully the search system here will be more complete and easier to use. We all are learning this part. Then expand on this with your new question. You will definitely get answers.

penicillin

I have no qualms about resurrecting old threads when there is meaningful content or an important question. It helps to acknowledge that the thread is old, so that others understand the new context.

I dislike it when someone resurrects an old thread to say "Me, too!", or leave spam links, or answer a question that is long ago resolved or forgotten. It happens, and I would not use it as an excuse to prevent people from re-opening old threads for legitimate, good reasons.

Here is an example of an old thread that I resurrected recently. I believe that it fits the pattern of a good reason to bring back an old thread. See post #11 and the follow-up post #12 in this thread:

Thread:

Post #11:
Post #12:

Top Bottom