"Old Lar" Larry wins Namiki vanishing point from co-founder, Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This auction will end WEDNESDAY evening at 8:20 Eastern time, so there is time for Scott to give us further insight, if he wishes.

What a memento of the tenth anniversary!!

Not only is this a prestige pen, the Namiki collection from Pilot features the vanishing point fountain pen design---truly an engineering marvel. Scott reminds me that this pen also has a Raden finish!!

I have located this description of this pen:
The Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen is a product rich in both history and performance. Its brilliant design and ingenious technology make it a pen for the new age. A larger size, durable metal body and attractive appointments make the Vanishing Point unmistakably unique. The fascinating Raden displays the beauty of multi-colored abalone shells in a rich, black, hand-lacquered finish with shiny rhodium accents.
Description taken from a similar pen on Goulet pen's web site.

I'll entertain an opening bid, please!!

Attachments

• Namiki-Box.jpg
    Namiki-Box.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 441
  • Namiki-Pen.jpg
    Namiki-Pen.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I saw this auction just as Ed posted it, and I SOOOO much wanted to bid $10 just for laughs, but didn't want people to think it was an insult to this very cool pen. I was wondering which of our Fountain aficionados would bring it up to at least a reasonable level...

It is an amazing looking pen, and an intriguing piece of technology!!! Belongs in the hands of someone who will appreciate it!!! Good Luck Roy!!

OKLAHOMAN

The reason I placed a $300 bid so fast is I might not be able to be here during the next few days, I don't think it will hold up but if it will I will be one very happy Italian.

Scott

This is a sweet pen! While the description Ed posted tells everything very well, it is hard to believe how nice this pen looks until you see it in person. It has a medium nib. It is a gold nib. I have used this pen a few times, pens are tools after all. It writes very smooth and nice.

Scott.

Old Lar

There are two auctions left that I am interested in that are still going. I will take a run that this one with the other to still fall back on if it doesn't work. So sorry Roy, lets try $350.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have this beautiful pen in my possession. When Scott sent it to me, he wrote me a nice letter with the following description:

This is a Namiki Vanishing Point in Raden, in the original box with outside cardboard sleeve. The Vanishing Point is one of the most interesting fountain pens on the market. It is a retractable fountain pen, operating much like a retractable ball point pen, with a push button on one end operating the mechanism. The opening for the nib to come out has a small spring-loaded hatch which closes when the pen is retracted to keep the ink from drying out. The pen clip is at the front end of the pen so that when you carry it in your pocket, the nib is up, eliminating ink accidents. The finish on this pen is "Raden", a unique Japanese lacquer technique where oyster shells are crushed, the colorful grit is applied to the pen, then it is encased in lacquer. It's a beautiful finish that changes color depending on how you turn it towards the light.

As Scott said in a post above, you really can't appreciate the color in this pen until you have it in your hand. I took probably 20 photos before I got one that showed reasonably well what it's like.

Scott, thank you so much for this beautiful pen from your personal collection!

Old Lar

Thank you Scott, for your generous donation and thank you, Jeff for hosting a great forum that serves to inform and educate penturners everywhere. Pens that I have seen and discussions that I have read here have allowed me to push my abilities to a level that I never would have achieved.
The Birthday Bash is a great diversion from a cold miserable winter for many. Thanks to all that make it happen!

Top Bottom