Old Craftsman 10" table top band saw...guide question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gloworm5

I have recently acquired in a trade an old Craftsman 10" table top band saw. The table top is 11 1/2" x 11 1/2". It has a guide slot 4" off the center of the band saw blade. The guide slot is 5/8" x 1/4" deep. The blades are either 1/4" or 3/8" wide so you can see it is a small saw.

I am building a jig guide for sawing. What is available to use to fit this 5/8" x 1/4" deep slot? Is there commercially available guides that fit this slot? My jig will be made of 3/4" plywood or something similar. I just want something that will slide in the slot smoothly and accurately as I cut my blanks. I have tried to find aluminum in that size with no success. And, I have limited tools to create my own. Surely there is a simple inexpensive way out of this problem. I considered cutting it out of plywood but I am not sure I would be able to get it that accurate and smooth...maybe I can do it that way but it is only 1/4" thick. I have a few small pieces of MMHW that I could possible use, but cutting it with this saw does not produce a very accurate cut.

I feel rather ignorant even posting this question! But, everyone has been so kind to me in the past I thought once again I would ask another dumb question.

The final product when using this jig is a way to cut Celtic Knots from my blanks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being disabled, it is hard for me to travel around looking for items.

Thanks so much,
Larry -- "Gloworm5"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I have recently acquired in a trade an old Craftsman 10" table top band saw. The table top is 11 1/2" x 11 1/2". It has a guide slot 4" off the center of the band saw blade. The guide slot is 5/8" x 1/4" deep. The blades are either 1/4" or 3/8" wide so you can see it is a small saw.

I am building a jig guide for sawing. What is available to use to fit this 5/8" x 1/4" deep slot? Is there commercially available guides that fit this slot? My jig will be made of 3/4" plywood or something similar. I just want something that will slide in the slot smoothly and accurately as I cut my blanks. I have tried to find aluminum in that size with no success. And, I have limited tools to create my own. Surely there is a simple inexpensive way out of this problem. I considered cutting it out of plywood but I am not sure I would be able to get it that accurate and smooth...maybe I can do it that way but it is only 1/4" thick. I have a few small pieces of MMHW that I could possible use, but cutting it with this saw does not produce a very accurate cut.

I feel rather ignorant even posting this question! But, everyone has been so kind to me in the past I thought once again I would ask another dumb question.

The final product when using this jig is a way to cut Celtic Knots from my blanks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being disabled, it is hard for me to travel around looking for items.

Thanks so much,
Larry -- "Gloworm5"
I make all of my own mitre slot guides out of red oak which is readily available in Va. The thing I like about making my own (besides the unbeatable price) is that you can sand them down to fit them exactly to whatever mitre slot you have. This is especially good for smaller saws that might not have *precision* machined mitre slots.

mikemac

You should probably be ok making your own miter gauge guide, but use a stable wood, like baltic birch plywood. If its a 'snug' fit, wax it up with an old candle, or even a bar of soap.

hrigg

I have a slightly different version of that saw, but I'm not sure if it's newer or older. The top wheel is 8" and the bottom is 10." I have done some segmenting but I can't get the tension high enough for truly precision work, so I don't know if Celtic Knots are possible with it. I'll be interested in your results.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've made a few out of lignum pen blanks (hey.. it didn't have any grain,
and it was paid for) and they worked out just fine. You can cut them to the
size you want and fine tune as necessary. I have an old ToolCraft table saw
and no miters fit it that I can find.. so I make them up for sawing jigs.

Gloworm5

Hello Jack

I had not thought about Red Oak. I have several pieces of that here already...that certainly sounds like a solid idea.
I have a new problem that has just popped up. I have not had any problems with keeping the blades running on the saw. But, I just changed to a 3/8" x 6tpi and now I can't keep it running on the saw. Oh well, if it's not one thing it is another.

Thanks again,
Jack

Gloworm5

Hello Mac

Now, there is another good idea. I had not thought about using wax from a candle to lubricate the wood. And, just like the Red Oak, I have some Baltic Birch plywood here since I also do some scroll saw work from time to time.

Thanks Mac
Larry~"Gloworm5"

Thanks Mac

Gloworm5

Hello Harry

I sure hope you are wrong about my saw. I hope it can do the segmented pens. I'll try to let you know if it does or doesn't. My saw uses 3 - 6" diameter wheels. This is a small table top mounted saw. Very light weight jobs only! This is more a hobbyist saw. And, I don't expect to use it much. I traded it for a couple of nice slimline pens I made. So, I can't go too far wrong.

Thanks
Larry

Gloworm5

Jack

Now, lignum pen blanks is something I don't have around here. I will try the Red Oak and Baltic Birch first since I have it on hand. Why is the lignum pen blanks a better choice in your mind? Is it a tighter or harder grain wood?

Larry

KenV

Larry -- it is not that you cannot do segmentation with that band saw, but you are likely to need to use different controls and processes to gain the precision to keep the joints and intersections in the desirable order and places.

Many people are not willing to spend the time and effort to get it to fit and control the variation.

Best wishes on your learning opportunity -- and hope you have fun learning how to make it all work. If you scroll saw and fit pieces you are already on the way.

Longfellow

I have made many slide tables, cutoff jigs, etc and my material of choice for the runners to fit it the mitre slots is Plexiglas. Second preference is hard rock maple or walnut. I put a few coats of lacquer sanding sealer on the runers if I do use wood. You can get plexi at most Glazing shops.

Top Bottom