Old Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

With all the interest in Celtic knots lately I thought I'd post one I made probably 10 years ago. It's kind of simple compared to some being made now but I've always like the colors together. It's made from holly, blood wood, yellow heart and dyed maple. If I had it to do over I would have cut it 1,3,2,4 instead of 1,2,3,4.
6aac3057b25bf7c4ed06bcaf6212ec6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice indeed !!!

What would have been the difference between the two cutting sequences that you mentioned ?

(I can understand if you can't remember after 10 years .... LOL ! )
(When you did it, were 1 and 2 opposite sides of the blank, with 3 and 4 also being opposites ? )

And how do the colors relate to the sequence that you actually used ? . Just wondering in view of recent Celtic knot discussions.

(I do notice that both red and yellow cross OVER both the green and black in the picture you show.)

mick

Very nice indeed !!!

What would have been the difference between the two cutting sequences that you mentioned ?

(I can understand if you can't remember after 10 years .... LOL ! )
(When you did it, were 1 and 2 opposite sides of the blank, with 3 and 4 also being opposites ? )

And how do the colors relate to the sequence that you actually used ? . Just wondering in view of recent Celtic knot discussions.

(I do notice that both red and yellow cross OVER both the green and black in the picture you show.)
Mal, if you number the sides 1-2-3-4 in a clockwise order 2 will be on top of 1,3 will be over 2,4 will be over 3 and lastly 4 is over 1. A random look. If you number the sides in the same order but cut 1 then 3 then 2 then 4 you'll get a knot that has side 2 and 4 in top of 1 and three. In my pictures you'll notice that it's totally random then look at one of John or Ken's knots and you'll see the difference. Their's are done 1-3 2-4 odd sides will be either over or under the even numbers or vice versa.

mick

Mal, if you number the sides 1-2-3-4 in a clockwise order 2 will be on top of 1,3 will be over 2,4 will be over 3 and lastly 4 is over 1. A random look. If you number the sides in the same order but cut 1 then 3 then 2 then 4 you'll get a knot that has side 2 and 4 in top of 1 and three. In my pictures you'll notice that it's totally random then look at one of John or Ken's knots and you'll see the difference. Their's are done 1-3 2-4 odd sides will be either over or under the even numbers or vice versa.

I just looked again and it is cut green first then blue- red- yellow.

magpens

You're welcome to pick what little brain I have left!

OK, @mick, then I will "pick" some more !! . But it might soon become obvious that I have fewer brain cells left than you do !! ... LOL !
And you might even regret that you invited me to ask MORE QUESTIONS !!! ... LOL !

In a post above you say:
Mal, if you number the sides 1-2-3-4 in a clockwise order, 2 will be on top of 1, 3 will be over 2, 4 will be over 3 and lastly 4 is over 1. . . A random look.

I don't regard this as random ... in fact it seems to be quite orderly with everything happening in a predictable way.

But wait .... a question comes up ....

The sides are fixed, so you cannot mean that "side 2 will be on top of side 1". You must mean "color 2 will be on top of color 1".

And then I do not know which ring (insert) is color 2 ... is it the insert that was glued in after making the diagonal cut to side 2 ?

But I am still a little unclear. . Do you mean that, after gluing the inserts in, and rounding the blank, then "color 2 will cross over color 1", and "color 3 will cross over color 2", etc., etc.

And then a further question comes up ....

For each pair of colors, there will be TWO CROSSINGS; one of the crossings could be OVER and one UNDER, or both could be over, or both could be under. .

Which of these possibilities actually happens ? . . . that's what I would like to know now.

This is all part of a desire, on my part, to try to comprehend the Celtic knot more completely.
I will fully understand if you don't remember some details that I am asking about .... or if you want to dismiss my interrogation completely !

I hope that nobody but you, @mick, jumps in and tries to answer my questions .... that could add more confusion.

BTW ... I have to say that I really like your pen above. . Reminds me of one of those white winter coats with colored bands on the sleeves.
I want to make a pen like you show.

Last edited:

KenB259

That's very nice. I have always wondered about using 4 different colors if inlay, but never have. I really like this and for some reason it makes me think if the Olympic Games. The bands of the same colors in the knot really add to the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I'm not sure what all the numbers mean Mike, but I sure like it. Someone really got a nice looking FP. I would say that this is an oldy but goody for sure. You ever do another one just like this let me know, I'm all about things Celtic.

So is it my imagination or the angle of the photo but it looks like its a more complicated knot?

The numbers come from this pretty detailed discussion we had about all of the details that go into making the perfect knot.

Sorry Andy, still way over my head and I did look and study the post you mentioned above. I'm a kind of hands on person. Show me how it's done and I can usually figure it out...sometimes. I would love to learn how to do a knot, but following instructions that my simple mind can't figure out just doesn't work. This might be a good topic for the 2021 MPG. They'll be a ton a experts there that can walk me through it.

jttheclockman

I give up🤲 Let someone else explain the number sequence. I thought we beat that horse dead. :) All Mick is doing is saying it differently.

mick

OK, @mick, then I will "pick" some more !! . But it might soon become obvious that I have fewer brain cells left than you do !! ... LOL !
And you might even regret that you invited me to ask MORE QUESTIONS !!! ... LOL !

In a post above you say:

I don't regard this as random ... in fact it seems to be quite orderly with everything happening in a predictable way.

But wait .... a question comes up ....

The sides are fixed, so you cannot mean that "side 2 will be on top of side 1". You must mean "color 2 will be on top of color 1".

And then I do not know which ring (insert) is color 2 ... is it the insert that was glued in after making the diagonal cut to side 2 ?

But I am still a little unclear. . Do you mean that, after gluing the inserts in, and rounding the blank, then "color 2 will cross over color 1", and "color 3 will cross over color 2", etc., etc.

And then a further question comes up ....

For each pair of colors, there will be TWO CROSSINGS; one of the crossings could be OVER and one UNDER, or both could be over, or both could be under. .

Which of these possibilities actually happens ? . . . that's what I would like to know now.

This is all part of a desire, on my part, to try to comprehend the Celtic knot more completely.
I will fully understand if you don't remember some details that I am asking about .... or if you want to dismiss my interrogation completely !

I hope that nobody but you, @mick, jumps in and tries to answer my questions .... that could add more confusion.

BTW ... I have to say that I really like your pen above. . Reminds me of one of those white winter coats with colored bands on the sleeves.
I want to make a pen like you show.
Mal, me a day or so and I'll order my thought how best to present this.

magpens

Mal, me a day or so and I'll order my thought how best to present this.

Ok, @mick, that's fine ... take your time. . It takes time to get the "writing" right !! . LOL ! . I know all about that !

Also ...... gives ME more time to think up more questions !!! . LOL !

greenacres2

Awesome pen!! I'm with Ken in that my first thought was Olympic rings--but as soon as Mal mentioned the white coat with the rings on the sleeves i absolutely pictured that for the lower barrel.
earl

Top Bottom