Okay, Angela, here it is

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I picked this segmented blank up with a bunch of other wood at an estate auction a few months ago and finally got around to turning it. Sorry about the lousy before photo.

20064194844_seg_blank.jpg

The result.

20064194916_seg_bowl.jpg

This was the hardest bowl I've turned to date. The grain runs every direction imaginable... even into some dimensions I've not expeienced before. This made avoiding chip outs a real bear! The bowl is 4 5/8" by 2". Started out trying Minwax Polycrylic on it, but didn't like it. Sanded it down and sprayed it with polyurethane. I think I'll just stick to Mylands or Mineral Oil from now on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Wonderfull piece Billy, very nice job. [:p]
But that first pic looks like what I would see after a half a bottle of Tequilla [:D]

angboy

That looks great Billy!!! Does the here it is part mean that it's going to be here in my mailbox? [:D] You know, I should really inspect it hands on to make my final judgment on it! [;)]

But seriously, it looks great! And the finish you ended up with is very shiny, which I love. I can see why it would be hard to turn with all those different directions of grain- I'd say you overcame that quite nicely though!

byounghusband

WOW!!!!![:0]
Billy,
My hat's off to you with that one!! How many different types of wood are there in that one? 9 or 10? You did a GREAT job fighting that grain conundrum.....[:D][:D]

johnson

Looked at the first picture and realized I didn't have my glasses on. Didn't help. Bowl looks very nice. What is the finish?
Dale

alamocdc

Thanks, all!!

Bob, it has Padauk, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Zebrawood, Wenge, Maple, Oak, Walnut, Birch, Spalted Maple and a few I'm not sure of, so that makes 12.

ROTFL, Dale! The finish is sprayed polyurethane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom