OK, easy now, my first picture posting!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spiritwoodturner

S

spiritwoodturner

I've been so busy in my shop, I haven't even taken pics of my new passion-PR castings. I've only been at it for about a month now, many failures but honmestly more that I'm happy with than I would have expected. Frankly, I've been having so much fun with them I haven't taken a picture yet of one of them (I need to get them on my website) until today.

My picture taking is a work in progress, but here goes. I call it "Rippy Bits". If you have little ones that watch Spongebob, you get it. I have tons of little ends and bits, and thankfully I've set them aside, because I just cut them into little bits and cast them in lavender PR with some Pearl-X (not enough). There's even a few little bits of Eugene's "Cancun" blanks, and if you look real close, a few bits of my "Lucky Charms" blanks, that are turning out great. I'll post that one when I get done with pics. I'm not at all wild with the mating to an El Grande, but I'm not ready to slap a $45 kit on them until I've turned a few, and I had about 25 of these kits set aside, so there it is.

Anyway, I'm happy with the first effort. Tip for those starting out with PR, don't make this mistake. My first batch, I cut of a bunch of cocobolo bits and cast them. Well, when I cooked them to cure, the oil just POURED out and wrecked the entire batch! Memo to self-don't cast oily woods in PR that has to get cooked!

Anyway, fire away! I need to hear what you think, and more to come.

Dale

Attachments

• iap1.jpg
    iap1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 298
  • iap2.jpg
    iap2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

good job on the taking the plunge into making your own PR blanks. that has been on my to-do list for some time without getting done.

S

spiritwoodturner

Oh, Ken, I'm with you, the kit's OK, just not with that casting. I thought there was too much going on to have the black and herringbone thrown in. I'll do one with a Statesman that I think will look better-simple, understated, let the blank take over.

But that's just me! Thanks for the comments so far, I'm going to post some more. I'm hopelessly addicted...

Dale

Memo to self-don't cast oily woods in PR that has to get cooked!

Try "cooking" the oily wood before casting it to remove the excess oils.

Anyway, fire away! I need to hear what you think, and more to come.

- I really like the resin. Nice job!
- The pen looks nice.
- Dump all of the things in the background of the picture. It is distracting and takes away from the pen.

Top Bottom