Oily Glue??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thought I would start a new thread about this product that seems to have caught on in the pen turning world. This thread will be twofold. Hope it explains what it is and how it is used. Also we can get people here to ask questions as well as give feedback if they have used it. Also give us names of the different brands. tell us how you are using it. Are you using for adhesion only or can this be used for a finish as we use other CA glues? What is the findings if used as a finish. Does it shine up as well as ordinary CA? Are there any do's and dont's and what they are. How well does it dry and how fast? Is there different viscosities and if not what consistancy would you say is the product you are using? Any other info will go nicely within this thread. So what about this product? here is a link to what it is.

https://gluesavior.com/what-is-oily-glue/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Although I have only used it a few times, haven't been making many pens, it seems to be very resistant to heat. Here's a picture of the brand I bought.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 76

Todd in PA

I use the SX brand. It's consistency is equivalent to a medium CA. You can apply CA accelerator to it. It dries a bit flexible rather than rock-brittle. I don't think it would make a good finish because it's not as hard as CA.

jttheclockman

I use the SX brand. It's consistency is equivalent to a medium CA. You can apply CA accelerator to it. It dries a bit flexible rather than rock-brittle. I don't think it would make a good finish because it's not as hard as CA.
You may have not tried this but will ask anyway. Have you tried using as a finish? Did you try to heat in toaster oven afterwards to see if it hardens any? thanks.

d_bondi

Although I have only used it a few times, haven't been making many pens, it seems to be very resistant to heat. Here's a picture of the brand I bought.

Just checked this brand on Amazon, and it APPEARS that it has over 5,000 4.8 Star reviews, BUT when you go to check out the reviews they are for some non-stick sheet. So, intentional or not, there is something fishy (pun intended) going on. I reported the page error to Amazon.

Just didn't want someone to go pull the trigger on a purchase based on the 5000+ reviews since they aren't related to this product.

jrista

Thanks for starting this conversation, John! I was considering doing this myself, as I heard oily glue mentioned in a couple other threads recently. Made me very curious, and looking forward to what comes out of this thread.

egnald

Unfortunately, the term "Oily Glue" has kind of gone the way of "acrylics" being used to refer to plastics in general regardless of whether they are truly Acrylic.

A true "Oily Glue" is an adhesive that is generally comprised of a plastic such as Acrylic (acrylic acid) or polyurethane that is carried in an oily solvent like Butanone or Toluene.

I think there is a little creative license going on in the marketing of many of the products being marketed as Oily Glue however. Although CA (cyanoacrylate) is a plastic and perhaps the formulation does contain some very small percentage of an oily solvent additive like Butanone, they have a very high percentage of CA.

For example, Oily Glue, at least the Tree Frog brand is one of these CA variations. Of course the additives that make it unique are trade secrets but probably contain a small amount of an oily solvent. Of the CA adhesive family, it is an ethyl 2-cyanoacralate or ECA - the most common type. There are other CA chemistries such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate (MCA), n-butyl (n-BCA), octyl , and 2-octyl. The latter are used primarily for medical applications where methyl and ethyl are used for the industrial adhesives we are all familiar with.

Usually the viscosity of a CA based adhesive is controlled with the addition of some percentage of a kind of fumed silica. The unique properties between brands and formulations (like flexibility, shear strength, etc.) are also due to additives, such as rubber which is used in Loctite Ultra Gel.

So, most products on the market today as Oily Glue are indeed CA (ECA) with trade secret additives that give it them their unique properties. Therefore the various CA activators and accelerators work on them.

Dave

sorcerertd

Just checked this brand on Amazon, and it APPEARS that it has over 5,000 4.8 Star reviews, BUT when you go to check out the reviews they are for some non-stick sheet. So, intentional or not, there is something fishy (pun intended) going on. I reported the page error to Amazon.

Just didn't want someone to go pull the trigger on a purchase based on the 5000+ reviews since they aren't related to this product.
I have not used "oily glue", but want to reiterate this. I have seen this same thing with mismatched reviews many many times on Amazon. Always check them.

Top Bottom