Oily Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

KMCloonan

I had never heard of it before. I used the link John provided to learn more. Not sure what benefit over CA or epoxy it would give for pen making.

jttheclockman

I had never heard of it either, but what I've read is that it handles heat very well. Might be very useful in segmenting.
It suppose to be widely used in woodworking field. Moisture does not effect it like other CA glues. It is chemical friendly to work with. Not sure if can be used as a finish because do not know how much it will polish and when they say stays flexible, not sure what that means either. I will watch this thread and hopefully someone has tried it and weighs in.

egnald

I have never used it for anything on pens, but the brand I am aware of, Tree Frog Oily Super Glue, was something that was a medium to thick bodied Ethyl Cyanoacrylate variant. I think it might have also included some additives to help raise the typical temperature spec towards the higher end.

Typical Ethyl Cyanoacrylates have heat ratings somewhere from 80C to 120C (180F to 250F) depending on the chemical additives. They are almost always rated based on the point where they lose 50% of their strength. The temperature related additives are designed to provide a secondary curing that provides additional cross linking of the polymer. I don't know the specific physics behind it nor how long it takes for the secondary curing to occur. Standard CA glues retain 80% of their strength all the way up to 50C (120F) and then degrade rather steeply to 50% at 80C (180F).

Let us know what you think after you give it a try.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom