Ohio Tree Indentificatio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

20200718_113636.jpg
20200718_113706.jpg

Not sure what type of tree this is. Maybe Ash? Pretty sure it isn't hackberry. Have looked online and we can't figure it out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the branches may be growing opposite from each other. There are only a couple of species that have opposite branch structures, Ash and Maple. This isn't a maple. I can't tell for sure how many there are in the picture, but there are usually 5 to 9 leaflets on an Ash tree leaf. Another trait is the diamond shapes in the bark which you can see in the pictures.

I'm pretty sure it is an Ash, but I don't know what variety.

Regards,
Dave

RKB

I think it is White Ash....bark texture and leaves seem to match too..... The underside of the leaflet is paler, almost whitish, hence an allusion to the common name....guessing is fun.

Fraxinus americana L.

Alan Morrison

I looked up Fraxinus americana and agree with that.
It is not a tree that grows in my part of the world and its leaves are completely different to our ash.

Dave, I found an interesting App for my i-Phone. It's name is "Leaf Snap". The icon is a black background, and a green leaf/stem enclosed within a green circle. It offers many photos of leaf, foliage, blooms, and bark, plus tree statistics. IT WAS FREE. I'm sure it is also available for Android phones. That way if one is afield you have an instant pocket guide. There is also a provision for photographing and other options. Good luck.

Top Bottom