Oh Crap!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

I had a Space Shuttle fall off the clip today! What would be the best way to fix it at least as strong as new...or better?
I don't have another kit to give him, and it would take a while to reorder.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I have not had that happen, but my temptation would be to carefully reattach it with some epoxy. Epoxies are pretty strong. If there's a better answer, I'm sure you'll get it, so I'm going to follow along.

jrista

Definitely avoid CA glue. Ed from Exotic Blanks warned me about this, and it was after that that I noticed on a few pens where I'd glued parts into tubes with CA, the platings had a few discolored areas. Not overtly noticable, but its apparently a potential consequence of using CA.

Aside from Epoxy, you might try Red Loctite is another potential option.

jttheclockman

I believe all these gizmo pen clips are subject to this unfortunately. So much torque from edges. my suggestion is to take the clip off and drill small holes for some small screws and attach from the back wit also some epoxy. You can use small watch screws. That is what I am going to do before I assemble this one and a couple other kits that I recently bought. If I ever get around to doing them. If this is even possible. Needs further investigation.

I see in instructions the cap is actually all one piece so screwing will be a problem. Then I would use either red loctite or JB Weld steel epoxy.

Last edited:

Aurelius

I'd agree that epoxy is the way to go.
Since it is a fairly small contact area, I'd take a file and lightly rough up the inside of the shuttle piece and the outside of the clip piece so that the glue has more to grab onto.

Top Bottom