Odd vibrations when turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ekick

Hey ya'll, how've you been?

I've been getting this odd vibration while turning. It happens on both wood and acrylic, and in the video you can see that it A: makes and abhorrent noise, and B: leaves an odd pattern on the blank. It only seems to do this once I get about an inch or so away from the ends of the blank. Any ideas?

Thanks once again!

Attachments

• 1B061517-31B0-4084-AD6D-868B4D0C9665.mov
    38.1 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichAldrich

Not sure if you are at or above center.

Faster speed turning. Looks slow.

Is the carbide cutter sharp?

Looks to me like you are pushing the tool inwards very hard. The blank flexed outward to its max, did not fracture and bounced back. What you experienced I think was a massive catch and dig in. Thanks to the low speed you were able to pull the gauge back before the black was cut in half.

Rich

magpens

Could be build-up of acrylic residue on the cutting face of the carbide cutter. ..... or a dulled cutting edge.

Ekick

Chatter. might try speeding up the rpm, and adjust the angle of the tool a bit to see if that helps. Are you turning on a mandrel, between centers or a mandrel saver?
In this video, between centers, but it also happens on a mandrel. Not as badly, though.

howsitwork

Well the marks are caller chatter and occur because the too, is cutting intermittently. The blank effectively moves away from the tool , for whatever reason and then moves no back and the tool cuts it. To avoid it try turning the tool so it cuts on an angle ( challenging but not impossible to do). Try varying your speed up a bit and take shallow cuts only just touching the surface. I find an HSS roughing gouge often cuts through it as it has weight and does not vibrate ( which is another cause of chatter ).

By cutting at an angle I mean revolve the tools shaft to present the cutting edge at say 45' or in terms of a clock face 1.30 - if you think of the presentation you are using in your video clip as presenting the tool at 3 o'clock as the cutter faces flat along the blank. Hope that's an easy to follow description ?

mick

I'm with Hank, that's a bad bearing. Does it do it when it's not under load?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom