Odd issue with my lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I've turned a dozen or so pens with my new lathe and PSI mandrel with the mandrel saver.

Just last night I noticed something that looked like my mandrel was bent but it wasn't acting the way I would expect it to.

I noticed sort of a wobble on all my bushings. It was almost like I was doing an off center turning on both ends.

I did a little checking by touching a pencil to various parts as the lathe was turning and I've attached a picture of what it looks like.

Now if the mandrel was bent I would expect to see some wobble in the middle but not the ends.

If the headstock or the mandrel saver was running off I would expect to see something there but nothing. I have dial indicator but I don't have a base for it so I'm off to Harbor freight to get one and tomorrow night I'll try to see how much wobble I have and where.

Also I haven't noticed any issues with pens. And TBC is too hard core for me. :)

Attachments

• wobble.jpg
    wobble.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike4066

Check that you don't have anything between the bushings and the mandrel.. Possibly some CA on the end of a bushing that mis-aligns things when it gets tightened down?

flyitfast

Make sure the inside of the spindle and the inside of the tailstock is clean. If there is any debris inside either of those, it can cause wobble. Before I ever put an MT2 taper item inside either I always clean the inside. A twisted piece of paper towel works OK.
However, CSUSA sells a taper cleaner gizmo that does a great job.
Gordon

Fay Prozora

Mine has a little bit of chatter also. I can get a decent pen turned. I think before I got the mandrel saver, I over tightened the tail stock against the end of the mandrel. Will get a new one some day. Fay

monophoto

However, CSUSA sells a taper cleaner gizmo that does a great job.

A less expensive solution is to purchase a brass wire brush intended for cleaning the barrel of a 20ga shotgun. You will need to make a handle, but that's what turners do.

As to OP's problem - were you using new bushings that you haven't used before? Did they fit snugly on the mandrel?

There was another posting a few days ago in which someone found that his bushings were wobbling on his mandrel rod.

chartle

I have never removed my mandrel or mandrel saver so doubt they are dirty.

I just got a magnetic base so I can really figure out what's going on.

Top Bottom