Oblique pointed pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CjG78

CjG78

G'day
I was recently asked to make one of these calligraphy pens by a customer and I jumped at it. I have never made one, and was a great opportunity to test my basic abilities. The timber is crosscut spalted hackberry which has been stabilized. I finished it with bees wax. It still proved quite tricky to turn and I had a few hiccups along the way (don't look too closely!)
He sent me a resin oblique pen to use the flange from, plus it had a small plastic plug which slips into the top and holds the flange in place, the slit was cut using a fine hacksaw. First attempt, I'm happy with it. So is he, thanks for looking!

Attachments

• received_161567308764909.jpeg
    received_161567308764909.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 282
  • received_228640428813794.jpeg
    received_228640428813794.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice going. I was recently looking online for nib holders for an oblique pen. I found a couple of articles on how to make the oblique nib holders. I dis not save the info but I would think it easy to find again with a Google search. Thanks for sharing.
Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful blanks and you did an excellent job on the final pen. Did you write the calligraphy? If so, superb.

darrin1200

That looks great Casey. That is called a Zanerian flange, distinguished because it is removeable with a pin. A great source of information for making these, is Christopher Yoke. He has an excellent YouTube channel with some great learning videos.
Yoke Pen Co.
These can be really fun to make, as they can be very thin. While I know how to use one of these holders, I am a long way from writing well.

Top Bottom