Nylon Gears for my Metal Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

I wanted to quiet down my lathe a little so I searched for some nylon gears that would fit. No luck, my gears are a Module 1.25mm and nobody had any.
So, I decided to make my own and after waiting 3 weeks for the cutter to arrive I got to work.

First thing to do was to make two mandrels, one to hold the nylon and the other for the gear cutter...

IMG_9252.JPG

Next step was turning the nylon to size...

IMG_9253.JPG

Stringy stuff!!!

IMG_9256.JPG

Next step, cutting the gear teeth...

IMG_9257.JPG

IMG_9258.JPG

Next I parted the blank into four pieces...

IMG_9260.JPG

Then I modified one of my expanding mandrels so I could clean up the outside of all four gears..

IMG_9261.JPG

IMG_9262.JPG

Now it was time to broach the keyway slot, I used my mill as a press and since this was nylon it worked well. Not something I would do on a steel gear...
IMG_9264.JPG

IMG_9265.JPG

Here are the four nylon gears along with the steel ones they replaced. I'm keeping two for spares...

IMG_9266.JPG

And finally, here they are installed on my lathe...

IMG_9267.JPG

The big main gear remains steel.

I'm REALLY happy with the outcome, it made a SIGNIFICANT difference in the loudness of my lathe!!!

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Most excellent!

I read there's another potential benefit of having a nylon gear - not that you'd let this happen, but if the carriage does bottom out against the headstock it will strip the nylon teeth before anything else gets damaged, a kind of mechanical circuit breaker.

Woodchipper

Nylon will dry out and get brittle over time. I have a fishing reel that has nylon gears. After a while, the teeth stripped off. Fortunately, I found a shop that had the gears in stock. I put in the new gears and put the reel on the shelf. Not confident that I can find them again as the reel is over 45 years old. Fishing reels have a habit of becoming obsolete and parts become nonexistent.

rherrell

Nylon will dry out and get brittle over time. I have a fishing reel that has nylon gears. After a while, the teeth stripped off. Fortunately, I found a shop that had the gears in stock. I put in the new gears and put the reel on the shelf. Not confident that I can find them again as the reel is over 45 years old. Fishing reels have a habit of becoming obsolete and parts become nonexistent.
I don't have 45 years left on this planet so I'm not worried. :):):)

Bryguy

Impressive work Rick! I'm at the very beginning of the learning curve for my machining skills. This blows me away.

Top Bottom