Nuts, Sticks, Stamps, and Hydro Swirl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I've had these on the "To Do" list for a while and finally worked out a few blanks for some lathe time. I kept thinking.... What came first, the nut or the tree? ...

In this case, the nut came first. Black alumilite and walnut shells. The squirrel did all the work cleaning them out for me. All I did was cast and turn. Not an easy pen to make. The nut shell is very hard the resin had to be recast after a few pieces came out. I swapped the rhodium pieces in the black ti Jr for gold ti I had removed in the past.

The second is another self cast I call "Emerald Forrest". Its dried assorted sized sticks cast in black alumilite and green pearl-x. It was Much easier to turn. lol Finished with CA on a black ti Jr with replaced gold ti accents.

The third one is blue carbon fiber with a six cent police stamp from the 70's ( I think). It was finished on a Jr gent.

The last picture is of a duck feather sierra and a self cast hydo swirl blank. The paint swirl blank was an experiment that I hope to expand on. Lots of fun and potential with these.

Thanks for looking!
John

Attachments

• nut 1.jpg
    nut 1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 365
  • nut 2.jpg
    nut 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 280
  • stick 1.jpg
    stick 1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 338
  • stick 2.jpg
    stick 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 262
  • police 1.jpg
    police 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 383
  • police 2.jpg
    police 2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 297
  • paint swirl and duck.jpg
    paint swirl and duck.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 367
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Thanks All! I don't get as much time in the shop as I use to so I end up with blanks sitting around for a long time, waiting to try them out.

Paint swirl looks similar to marbleing. Like them all. Contrasts on the walnut hulls is striking.

Thanks Ken, its very close to what others do in marbleing. I'm still working out my process to add more detail and color to the blanks. This one is a one step process but I'm hoping to have layers with more direction in the next group. Thanks!

Top Bottom