Novice Trial Stoner Mold Release vs PAM cooking spray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Novice trial mold release Stoner vs PAM

OK, I have read it on IAP and a couple of other sites. "I use PAM (or other cooking spray) for my molds." Hmmm, sounds too easy but cheaper by far than the price of Stoner Mold Release.

So, may as well try both and see how they compare since Chuck (dalecamino) bought a can of Stoner with our trial of Liquid Diamonds.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/novice-trial-liquid-diamonds-156315/

During the Liquid Diamonds vs Alumilite Clear trial, I sprayed half the test mold with Stoner and half with PAM.

Immediately noticed the standard can of PAM sprays way heavy, so wiped down and thinned/evened out the film.

Sprayed the other half with Stoner Thermoset Mold Release. It went on with a thinner coat and more evenly. It also dried to a film quickly whereas the PAM remained wet.
IMG_0509.JPG
Each product was cast over with 2 Alumilite Clear and 2 Liquid Diamonds pour. (S=Stoner, P=PAM, A=Alumilite Clear, L=Liquid Diamonds

The result: both products did allow for very easy release of the cured blanks from the mold. Results for that were equal. HOWEVER, the PAM did have some contamination of both blanks:
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
The outer contamination is no biggie as it will turn off, though it does not clean off easily. Denatured alcohol and acetone both did little to the PAM on the surface, even though it is edible. Most of it came off after the blanks had been frozen, then were wiped down with a dry paper towel.

The interesting part is the swirls in the blank. Neat effect, thought there seems to be a slight bubble trail in one spot on the Alumilite. The contamination did not seem to affect the blank by making it either soft or sticky, but would affect clarity of a clear blank and possibly some colors.
IMG_0521.JPG

Will PAM work as a Mold Release? Yes. Did the Stoner product work better? Yes, based on ease of application and no impact on the blank.

There are likely other thermoset epoxy mold release products out there cheaper than the Stoner and work as well (I have seen industrial prices at $6-7/can by the case). I am not Cooking sprays would be my go-to option. I believe my PAM will leave the shop and be placed by the grill or in my wife's cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A bath in some Dawn dish soap would remove the Pam. Interesting results. I believe the stoner pays for itself in the end. I think the LD looks better, but there is still the issue with hardness. Looking forward to the PR trial. Thanks Mike!

its_virgil

Polyester resin does not need mold release. It shrinks enough to make it easy to remove from the mold, even tubes.

I have never used mold release with Alumilite clear(a polyurethane resin) and have had no problems. But, Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast is an epoxy resin and mold release is helpful as it is will epoxy resins.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

MRDucks2

Good point, Don. Even the shrinkage for the Liquid Diamonds is listed as less than Alumilite Clear, it was small enough that I could not measure a difference. I normally have not used a mold release for Alumilite Clear, either, and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I will tell you, if you dont use mold release with Liquid Diamonds, you take a chance of ruining your silicone mold. I toasted 2 by not using it. Pr is a different animal and no release is required. I also never used release with alumilite.

RandyC

I've been using silicon spray from the auto parts store as a release agent thus far, 2 batches.

Not apples to apples comparison because I've been casting vertically in 3/4" hot/cold pvc pipe with Alumilite Amazing Clear.

My first tube in molds are on their way.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom