Nova Midi Chuck or WC Pinnacle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tmhawk

tmhawk

Hello Turners,
I'd like to turn some small bowls, and I can use a chuck for turning bottle stoppers. My budget will allow me to purchase the Nova Midi Chuck ($109) or the WoodCraft Pinnacle ($85). Your advice will be much appreciated. Oh, the "hole" on the stoppers is 1 1/4" so the chuck must be able to grab inside that size. The bowls I'm thinking of will be no more that 8" total. My lathe has a 10" swing.
Thanks,
Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loglugger

I have the 3418 from Penn State it comes with 2 sets of jaws for $79.95 with $8.00 shipping. I have this chuck and it has been a good one. If I was going to get another one it would be the Barracuda 3 sets of jaws for $99.95 with $8.00 shipping.
Bob

CHICAGOHAND

I also have the Pinnacle which I just added a set of flat jawws to its collection. The only complaint is using the two steel bars to tighten and loosen as apposed to a chuck with a key for one handed operation. That alone is worth some extra money, something to consider.

tmhawk

I appreciate ALL the great comments and advice. Amazon has a special on the Barracuda CSC2000C, $116.90 and the JUMBO Jaws for $21.45. Seems like a good deal. Several of you said, Barracuda. Considering what I'm talking about turning, small bowls, sake cups, tea cups, I think this will work. (BTW, the Pinnacle is pretty much the same system, but to get all the jaws for the Pinnacle that come with the Barracuda, you get 4 jaws a screw thing and an adapter thing, you'd pay about the same amount.) So, for those of you that said, "Barracuda" good deal?
Thanks,
Tony

Top Bottom