Nouveau Scepter in truestone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

This is my first time working with truestone, or whatever PSI call their version of it. I polished it down through the grades of Zona paper with no finish over it. Wasn't too tough to work with, but a little dusty.

20220501_180721.jpg

20220501_180711.jpg
20220501_180622.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

Awesome!! I've always liked the look of the Trustone blanks. A friend told me he had a heck of a time with his first...messed it up. But he showed me his second attempt, it was very nice, he said it was a bear and he wouldn't be doing that soon! At about $30 a blank I want to get more experience before I try it...and look for a sale on them...LOL.

Yours came out beautiful! Will there be another soon? Any tips on what to do...and not to do differently than other blanks?

David350

Beautiful pen, very complimentary combination of blank and kit. Best part is you can easily make another just like it with the same blank...

sorcerertd

Thanks all. This was the cheaper version of the stone blank. I don't know what the difference is, but they both say real pulverized stone with resins. They were on sale a while back so I picked up a couple with the order. I don't know if there will be anything more soon as I have had very little shop time and way too many things I have been ignoring for way too long (think the Beatles song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", but substitute lathe for guitar, and turns for weeps)

@Joebobber, noted. I have some sort of turquoise stiff here from a BOB, but have not tried it out yet. I was a little scared of it already. Would love to try some Fordite, but I suspect it is super brittle, too, and at that cost... whew, even scarier.

Todd in PA

I'm working with some faux stone now, and wondering about a finish. This pen was simply sanded and polished. Does anyone recommend a CA finish over the stone?

Painfullyslow

I'm working with some faux stone now, and wondering about a finish. This pen was simply sanded and polished. Does anyone recommend a CA finish over the stone?
Someone with first hand knowledge may chime in but I know that some stones can be very porous and since these have crushed stone in them, I would probably apply CA just to be safe? Then again, the binder holding the stone in place is likely epoxy so it may nullify my thinking.

KMCloonan

I have made several pens from Tru-Stone - I had read all the cautionary posts about it being hard to drill, hard to turn, and hard to finish. I think the main enemy of these types of blanks is heat. Keep your drill bit cool. Keep your turning tools sharp. Go easy on the sanding (a lot of dust can be generated).

As for applying CA, I think it's a matter of personal choice. The pens in my photo were wet sanded with micro-mesh, polished with Meguiar's Plastix, and buffed on a wheel buffer. I did not use CA.

IMG_0500.JPG

RGVPens

I have made several pens from Tru-Stone - I had read all the cautionary posts about it being hard to drill, hard to turn, and hard to finish. I think the main enemy of these types of blanks is heat. Keep your drill bit cool. Keep your turning tools sharp. Go easy on the sanding (a lot of dust can be generated).

As for applying CA, I think it's a matter of personal choice. The pens in my photo were wet sanded with micro-mesh, polished with Meguiar's Plastix, and buffed on a wheel buffer. I did not use CA.

View attachment 335378
Beautiful pens Kevin!! I want to try that!

Top Bottom