NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL BURNING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Been exchanging some messages with other IAP members about this.

A true tragedy, (as is the loss of much older historical sites in Syria, Iran, Turkey, etc). No matter our beliefs, this is our/the world's heritage.

The roof and spire will be rebuilt within 5 years (I predict), but the artwork inside is lost forever. The rose windows, crypt and other period pieces date back to the 12'th century. Hopefully much will survive.

Renovation (current/ongoing "cleaning" in the Sistine Chapel.) is difficult. Rebuilding is easier (roof/spire). Replication is often not possible (art work from 600 years ago with different materials and techniques).

Very sad to see.

firewhatfire

Tragedy all the way around. I have been watching this a good portion of the day since I am at work anyway. We have been discussing logistics for fighting a fire similar to this. Scaffolding makes an interesting twist in the scenario. I have been expecting the collapse of i all day.

I have been in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. I didn't know they had another in Notre Dame.

A true tragedy, (as is the loss of much older historical sites in Syria, Iran, Turkey, etc). No matter our beliefs, this is our/the world's heritage.

The roof and spire will be rebuilt within 5 years (I predict), but the artwork inside is lost forever. The rose windows, crypt and other period pieces date back to the 12'th century. Hopefully much will survive.

Renovation (current/ongoing "cleaning" in the Sistine Chapel.) is difficult. Rebuilding is easier (roof/spire). Replication is often not possible (art work from 600 years ago with different materials and techniques).

Very sad to see.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Has been on ongoing endeavor. Latest effort started in 1981. They evaluate sections annually, then progress as needed.

https://100swallows.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/the-sistine-chapel-cleaning-job/
Tragedy all the way around. I have been watching this a good portion of the day since I am at work anyway. We have been discussing logistics for fighting a fire similar to this. Scaffolding makes an interesting twist in the scenario. I have been expecting the collapse of i all day.

I have been in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. I didn't know they had another in Notre Dame.

Very sad to see.

firewhatfire

It is the one at the Vatican in Rome. It is pretty amazing looking at it.

Has been on ongoing endeavor. Latest effort started in 1981. They evaluate sections annually, then progress as needed.

https://100swallows.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/the-sistine-chapel-cleaning-job/

Very sad to see.

sbwertz

Probably either caused by the people doing the restoration, or by faulty wiring that had not yet been replaced. The wiring was apparently old and badly in need of replacement. Started in an attic. The reason there was so much damage, was they couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from for almost 20 minutes.

Possibly a short in the elevator that the construction people put up. No construction people were there at the time of the fire, though. fire alarms didn't go off properly, apparently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom