Not the easiest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

Here's my most recent pen turning challenge. It's a Shakespeare pen kit that I picked up at Turners Warehouse. I knew I was in trouble when I looked at the build instructions and saw how sparse the instructions were. It is also my first TBC pen so that was also a learning experience. The wood is stabilized Rocky Mountain Maple that I get off my property. The finish is 4 coats of WOP and then a spin at the buffing wheel. This is headed to Qatar to a service member currently serving there.
My critique of the Shakespeare kit.
1. Easy to turn, nothing fancy about it at all.
2. The assembly instructions aren't that great. Read them, then read them, then read them again!
3. The components that are threaded are very tight, miss the line up and you'll ruin the parts. Use CAUTION on this part.
4. Be sure to clean out the tip. The one I got was full of some kind of plastic that was a pain to remove.
5. This kit only comes, from what I could find, as a TBC kit. So make sure you have all the right stuff and practice if you're new to TBC turning, which I am.

Thanks for looking.

PT Sheakspere pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Nice pen. You did a great job. Although I've done some things that resemble the TBC method I'm not sure I'm ready or willing to give it a shot yet. Well Done.

Nice pen. You did a great job. Although I've done some things that resemble the TBC method I'm not sure I'm ready or willing to give it a shot yet. Well Done.

Thanks for the compliments Kenny. I was kind of scared at first to try the TBC system. Then I said to myself, "Self, this is just like turning a table or desk leg just a lot smaller." Once I analyzed it I realized that Turning a pen using the TBC system is exactly like turning a table leg. I used to make furniture and I never used a duplicator to make identical legs, it was all done using measuring tools that I still have and use on occasion. Give it a shot Kenny. Like I tell most people, if I can do you sure can too.

magpens

@wolf creek knives

Tom, I can't seem to find the Shakespeare instructions. . I have looked on the Taylors Mirfield website and on Turners Warehouse.

Can you please post the link to them. . Thank you.

@wolf creek knives

Tom, I can't seem to find the Shakespeare instructions. . I have looked on the Taylors Mirfield website and on Turners Warehouse.

Can you please post the link to them. . Thank you.

I have to admit Mal, finding the instruction was a pain. Here's how I found them.

1. Go to Turners warehouse site
2. On the line that shows Home, Products etc. Click on the INFO drop down
3. On the right column select the Taylors Mirfield pen kit instructions
4. Select the MK2 Shakespeare instructions

That should direct you to the instructions. Just one page and look like engineering drawings to me. Hope this helps.

howsitwork

Very nice work Tom.

The lower half almost looks like a different timber to the top half with a much" warmer tone" to it. Proportions look good and "feel" should be good from its appearance. So much depends upon the feel of a pen IMHO but hey everyone has their own set of criteria. I like it !

Very nice work Tom.

The lower half almost looks like a different timber to the top half with a much" warmer tone" to it. Proportions look good and "feel" should be good from its appearance. So much depends upon the feel of a pen IMHO but hey everyone has their own set of criteria. I like it !
Pen turned out nice Tom. Thanks for the write up on the kit. You told me exactly what I need to know.

Thanks for your comments Ian and Chuck. I appreciate them very much and glad I could help up front. I did neglect to mention one thing that does need to be mentioned is the great help I received from Carrie at Turners warehouse. I contacted her several times to ask questions about the pen and all and she was johnny-on-the-spot and got right back to me with my questions answered and some I didn't even ask. So, my hats off to Turners Warehouse and Carrie and Chad.

Top Bottom