Not Pens, but turning just the same!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

Turkey Calls!

Maple with Slate with a Slate sound board & Red Oak with Slate with a Glass sound board
A Maple and Walnut Striker

392420.jpg

392419.jpg

They sound good, the Red Oak one sounds a little more raspy than the Maple. They even sound different with different strikers. The Red Oak really sounds good with a Hunter's Specialty "Magic Wand" striker

JimGo

Pretty neat Kurt. So, what do they sound like? I'm having trouble envisioning them making a "gobble", and I don't know what other sounds turkeys make!

Rifleman1776

Nice calls. I've tried making some turkey calls from slate. But the problem I've run into is getting slate that is thin enough. I bought some from somewhere out east and it was over 1/8" thick. I need thinner than that, probably an even 3/32" would work but the stuff I got was uneven. I'm thinking of trying glass and sand it rough. You are right, the wood makes a big difference as does the striker.

Kurt Aebi

Jim,

You don't "Gobble" with these, you draw the striker across the slate to create the "Yelps" & "Clicks" of a Hen to "Hopefully" entice the Gobbler to come to you.

Frank,

If your slate is too thick, you can sand it on a belt sander. I got my slate from a call-maker in Florida and he says it's better stuff than you can get from Pennsylvania Big Bed Slate.

You can get glass, crystal, slate & Aluminum from Grassy Creek Calls as well their web addy is http://www.grassycreekcalls.com

As you can also see, I was experimenting with the number 7 size of the sound holes on the bottom of the calls.

This stuff is Fun! (Almost as much fun as pens)

Here's a rifle casing pen I just finished. It's a .308 shell casing and antler from a spike shot in New Hampshire. I went with a Gun-Metal Nib so it would look more like lead. I put a Rifle clip on the top to keep with the theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom