Not my Pretty wood entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brotherdale

Brotherdale

I have been carrying this one for a few months. It is Lignum Vitae with a Blade kit. No finish just sanded to 3k. I love the way it smells and the way the wood feels.
I tried to get pics to use it for the pretty wood contest but when adjust the size to 600x800 it looses all of the tiny details that make it so pretty.

6E530D6A-17E9-41A7-BCA2-BE00FF64A6E7.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gprix76

That looks great!

I just recently turned a pencil with Lignum Vitae. Did you notice that it seemed to oxidize very quickly as you turned it? When i turned the pencil the shavings and the piece seemed to take on an almost bluish color within 10 minutes.

Brotherdale

That looks great!

I just recently turned a pencil with Lignum Vitae. Did you notice that it seemed to oxidize very quickly as you turned it? When i turned the pencil the shavings and the piece seemed to take on an almost bluish color within 10 minutes.

I didn't notice that. Interesting. I'll have to pay attention next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Brotherdale

Do you think you might have Verawood instead? It's often called "Argentine Lignum Vitae". It definitely does have a very pleasant, perfumey aroma! Genuine Lignum Vitae seems to be much milder in fragrance if any at all in my experience and is a lot darker.
I suspect it was Argentine Lignum Vitae. I bought several 1x1x12 sticks from the bargain bin at Woodcraft for $1 each.
here is a closer shot of the grain.
954D1C96-BFFB-481A-B43A-66D040F4FE9B.jpeg

hokie

I suspect it was Argentine Lignum Vitae. I bought several 1x1x12 sticks from the bargain bin at Woodcraft for $1 each.
here is a closer shot of the grain.
View attachment 232798
That's really cool. It does seem to be verawood. I think it's much better for its visual and olfactory properties if nothing else! It will probably turn shades of green over time. Pretty unique in that way too.

Top Bottom