Not a pretty wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

I turned this from the bark of a Giant Sequoia tree which was gifted to me from someone here in the IAP. Since it is made of bark it doesn't qualify as a pretty wood. I think it does qualify as a pretty pen.

1_Bark_one_step_2.jpg

1_Bark_One_step_1.jpg

This second pen is a stabilized maple burl.

1_P1000365a.jpg

1_P1000366a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I will go along with others and say that is a wood product pen and should qualify. It is beautiful. Nice job turning it. :):)

SteveJ

I am fine with Brian's decision not to allow the bark pen into the pretty wood contest. He has to draw the line somewhere and he is technically correct. Running contests is a lot of work and he gets a lot of entries in the pretty wood contest.

Thank you for your positive comments about both pens.

Brian G

No doubt, Steve, the bark made a pretty pen!

I consulted several dendrology sites to evaluate whether bark is wood. In sum, the cambium produces xylem (sapwood that becomes heartwood when it dies), more cambium, or phloem (which becomes bark). They are distinct tissues with their own purpose; thus, bark is not wood.

It was a good question. :)

SteveJ

No doubt, Steve, the bark made a pretty pen!

I consulted several dendrology sites to evaluate whether bark is wood. In sum, the cambium produces xylem (sapwood that becomes heartwood when it dies), more cambium, or phloem (which becomes bark). They are distinct tissues with their own purpose; thus, bark is not wood.

It was a good question. :)

I understand that Brian and have no complaints about your decision!

Top Bottom