Not a Pen........but.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive and kickin......kinda got into something new, by accident. Here's a look at a new rod handle I did on my new Jet lathe.

200672012139_Carliss%20Rod.jpg

200672124939_Purpleheart%20Handle.jpg

I added this Purpleheart handle - let me know what you think. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

OK Ken, I've been looking at this and wondering a few things:
1) what kind of rod? Fly?
2) Does the deep cove create a strength/weakness point?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ken,

Good to hear from you. I thought you had sweated off the map or something. My sister-in-law said it hit 106 in Shreveport yesterday. I'm almost glad to be an expatriate in PA this time of year.

Beautiful work, don't be a stranger.

KKingery

No doubt, it's been darn hot and humid down here......almost too hot to fish!
JimGo, the coves are just a nice look at the bottom, and the cove at the top is for comfort. Really no weakness, as the rod blank runs all the way down into the bottom of the handle, and the handle also has an edge which fits @ 1/2" into the reel seat. It's a casting rod, with a maximum line weight of 15lbs. I've done both casting rods and spinning rods, with varied handle designs, etc......The pretiest rod I made had a Purpleheart handle and foregrip, with a smoked epoxy finish. I'll try to find a pic of it.....although my pic skills are definately lacking......

johncrane

great stuff mate. I love my fishing too. but since ive been making pens. fishing been on the back burner.I have some old cork handle rods could do with a face change.might give it a try thanks mate.

KKingery

Yes, of course.....since rods are made with the blanks running all the way down into or through the handle, the motion is carried naturally to the handle also. The main key in feeling the small bites, etc.....is to use a good rod blank, and the appropriate line weight. The handle is just a natural extension of the rod blank itself once it's all put together. Anyway, thanks for looking guys, and I appreciate the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom