Not A Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

Doodling on the scroll saw. Mahogany and Maple on a Sirocco from Beaufort Ink.
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@wood128 @alanemorrison

Joe, thanks for trying to explain, but you ought to know how dense I am !!! . 🙃 😂 . . I don't get it !!

The surface seems to be perfectly smooth .... but that is not what I would expect, if, as you say, ....

he "glues each piece back in place with veneer between the pieces ". . This would form layers, if you actually mean "between".

The two layers on top of each other would build up to form a stepped surface.

Oh ..... maybe I do get it .....

Does he cut two layers of wood at the same time ?
Then he discards the pieces of one type of wood leaving voids ?
And then he uses the matching shapes from the other type of wood to fill the voids in the first type of wood ?

That might be what you mean .....

wood128

@wood128 @alanemorrison

Joe, thanks for trying to explain, but you ought to know how dense I am !!! . 🙃 😂 . . I don't get it !!

The surface seems to be perfectly smooth .... but that is not what I would expect, if, as you say, ....

he "glues each piece back in place with veneer between the pieces ". . This would form layers, if you actually mean "between".

The two layers on top of each other would build up to form a stepped surface.

Oh ..... maybe I do get it .....

Does he cut two layers of wood at the same time ?
Then he discards the pieces of one type of wood leaving voids ?
And then he uses the matching shapes from the other type of wood to fill the voids in the first type of wood ?

That might be what you mean .....
Start with a square piece of wood blank 1 " x 1 " x 5 " long, then cut out with a scrollsaw or bandsaw ) each piece to any shape ( this case it was somewhat oval ). then glue the SAME piece back into the cutout space . but include veneer which will bend to shape , between the two pieces , like a sandwich. Do this four times on each of the flat surfaces of the blank, then turn the square into a dowel shape. You can also use two different contrasting woods and interchange the cutout pieces. Hope this helps.

jttheclockman

I had done one a few years ago but never finished it. I may still have the parts somewhere. But after doing more segmenting over the years I learned a few things since I cut that one and may take another stab at it. It was suppose to mimic a famous pen maker. I will add that to my ever growing list. Boy I better live to be a 200 years old.:)

Top Bottom