Not a good fit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pewink

Banned
I thought I might find an interest in making some pens, and I've discovered a lot of useful information reading through the website.
I prefer to find information on my own when it's available, but there are questions that just can't be answered, without asking. I was encouraged
by several, to ask away. Most of the questions I've asked, I've received at least one antagonistic or cynical message (I had a couple positive), but for one question,
I received an influx of messages.
I apologize for making an effort to learn this hobby. I found it difficult to get motivated, and I looked for inspiration.
I'm going to step away, at least for a while, and maybe try it again in the future.
I wish you all well and continued success.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Kevin I do not know what you are looking for from your comments. But if you are talking about members here on this forum I doubt you got snubbed. The idea of looking and searching for answers can be a learning tool in itself but if you can not find them then just ask. You will get help. We can not instill the will to learn to turn or do anything but we can inspire by just looking through the many pages of show Off Your Pens forums. Maybe turning pens is not your hobby. Believe me I have seen this way too often with scrollsawing. People get the itch and come to forums asking what is the best saws and thy go out and buy them and find out they do not have the patience for that type work so next they are looking to sell them. That is why mostly many sawers tell them to get a good saw but a mid range saw. This way they do not get discourage to the cheapness of a saw and the difficulties it brings. But if they want out it is easier to sell that type saw too. We can not help if you do not tell us what is on your mind. Good luck.

Unless you are getting PM's that are troublesome then report to Jeff. I looked back at your threads and see no uproar.

Last edited:
Kevin I do not know what you are looking for from your comments. But if you are talking about members here on this forum I doubt you got snubbed. The idea of looking and searching for answers can be a learning tool in itself but if you can not find them then just ask. You will get help. We can not instill the will to learn to turn or do anything but we can inspire by just looking through the many pages of show Off Your Pens forums. Maybe turning pens is not your hobby. Believe me I have seen this way too often with scrollsawing. People get the itch and come to forums asking what is the best saws and thy go out and buy them and find out they do not have the patience for that type work so next they are looking to sell them. That is why mostly many sawers tell them to get a good saw but a mid range saw. This way they do not get discourage to the cheapness of a saw and the difficulties it brings. But if they want out it is easier to sell that type saw too. We can not help if you do not tell us what is on your mind. Good luck.

Unless you are getting PM's that are troublesome then report to Jeff. I looked back at your threads and see no uproar.
I have only been a member for a few days and I am amazed at the qualities of both the website and the members who have responded generously and welcomed me.
There's a wealth of shared information available and any contact has been affirming, helpful and more prompt than I could have imagined.

WriteON

I thought I might find an interest in making some pens, and I've discovered a lot of useful information reading through the website.
I prefer to find information on my own when it's available, but there are questions that just can't be answered, without asking. I was encouraged
by several, to ask away. Most of the questions I've asked, I've received at least one antagonistic or cynical message (I had a couple positive), but for one question,
I apologize for making an effort to learn this hobby. I found it difficult to get motivated, and I looked for inspiration.
I'm going to step away, at least for a while, and maybe try it again in the future.
Have not followed any posts as to what's going on…. However do not let anyone discourage you. Do not apologize for making an effort. Make the effort. Stay with it.

WriteON

Believe me I have seen this way too often with scrollsawing. People get the itch and come to forums asking what is the best saws and thy go out and buy them and find out they do not have the patience for that type work so next they are looking to sell them.
This is me. I have a buddy that does pretty good scrolling. He inspired and would guide me through. I did everything but buy the saw and it would have been a good one. Was not sure if I had the time/patience. No idea what projects I would enjoy working on. On hold for now. I took the risk with pen turning. Was not sure about a sharp chisel contacting a spinning blank. Wanted to return all equipment during/after my first pen. Maybe I should have… I'm having too much fun. Made too many friends. Love the pleasure of producing a pen. Discovered a hidden talent. And a forum that a forum that stays focused on technique & support. Penturning is worth the effort of risk. Do not let anyone discourage you. Has been said If I can do it you can do it.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I'm always sorry to read this sort of thing, and I like to understand what happened and why.

I've read all of your posts and I didn't see any angry responses or anything that might have caused an influx of hate mail.

Please feel free to start a conversation with me if you'd like to provide more details on what specifically is driving you away.

RichAldrich

Disturbing to hear this. Life does get in the way. It is ok to take a break. I tend to ask questions by PM because usually the other person needs a clarification. ASK the questions everybody. If you do not want to ask questions on the open forum send a PM to somebody/anybody. They should point you in the right direction.
There are a lot of challenges with this hobby not with this site.

Top Bottom