Nope, never again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

In the latest American Woodturner, I saw where Esther Bar was making things out of coffee, egg shells and epoxy resin. I decided to give it a try using PR since it is much cheaper than epoxy and I had some on hand. Nope, not the greatest of ideas. PR shrinks as it cures and did not adhere to the egg shells very well. I did not cast it under pressure either. This little box was very challenging to turn. Extremely chippy around the egg shells. I almost gave up on it but went ahead and finished it. I think I used too many egg shells as well. If I do another one, it will be with epoxy or alumilite.

Attachments

• E3138119-0D0E-477C-B4A6-77C48A44749D.jpeg
    E3138119-0D0E-477C-B4A6-77C48A44749D.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

A very interesting piece.... what are the dimensions? Did you clean the egg shells before casting? I'm assuming the coffee grounds were dry.

All in all, I like the piece.
Thanks,

The body of the piece is about 3.75" tall and 3.25" in diameter at its widest point. I did clean the shells and the grounds were dry.

Charlie_W

Very cool Cody! Two thumbs up on trying something new....and seeing it to completion.
I especially like the depth of the resin with the shells/coffee!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just think, if you had NOT tried it, you would always be wondering "What if?"

I have enjoyed the experiences of "What IF?", but mostly that is all they were - experiences! :oops: :D

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In the latest American Woodturner, I saw where Esther Bar was making things out of coffee, egg shells and epoxy resin. I decided to give it a try using PR since it is much cheaper than epoxy and I had some on hand. Nope, not the greatest of ideas. PR shrinks as it cures and did not adhere to the egg shells very well. I did not cast it under pressure either. This little box was very challenging to turn. Extremely chippy around the egg shells. I almost gave up on it but went ahead and finished it. I think I used too many egg shells as well. If I do another one, it will be with epoxy or alumilite.

This is beautiful Cody! The shape and profile is very appealing and the eggshell and PR (notwithstanding your process reservations) turned out very nice. I really like the visual - egg shells, coffee, tint, etc. It is really cool.

Finial lids and complimentary box shapes are not the easiest - these two work well.

Carry on - your journey is nice to watch.

Top Bottom