Noob burl question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

Hello all,

Can any tree have burls, and are they useable? I have in my back yard a very old willow that has this growth on a branch. About the size of a basketball. Pen blank worthy or camp firewood?
Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

• burl.jpg
    burl.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

Dan,
Not a hole, just a pocket. There are others on this tree just like it.

On a separate note I am leaving in an hour to head to Maryland to work a security job at the Beer Bacon and Music festival. I'll be driving right by you....

ironman123

Most burls are great for blanks for pens and bowls, stoppers, vases HF's,, etc. I have used Desert Willow but had to stabilize it first.

Ray

NittanyLion

Doug,

I have yet to find a burl that didn't have a good pen blank in it.....and I've cut hundreds. It just depends how paticular and how high your expectations are.

Sharpen your saw & cut it!

sbell111

I disagree with the rest of the posters. That tree clearly isn't going to be at all useful for turning. It's just an eyesore and should be removed and disposed of. Just PM me your address and I'll have it taken care of for you.

robutacion

Hello all,

Can any tree have burls, and are they useable? I have in my back yard a very old willow that has this growth on a branch. About the size of a basketball. Pen blank worthy or camp firewood?
Thanks!
Doug

I Doug,

The answer to your first question is NO, not all tree species produce burls even though they are a "tree deformity" one of which make me happy when I find them...!:wink::biggrin:

All burls are usable, even if they are hollow, there are many ways to use them. Camp firewood would be a sin mate, anyone that burns burls should get their finger burnt (just a little)...!:mad:

There are many types of Willow, I haven't seen yet a willow that isn't pretty...!

Offering my free services for their removal, would be impractical as the cost of going there and come back home, would cost close to buy a few ton of burls and that I can't afford sorry. I know that you didn't ask for their removal however, it would be something that I would be doing with a smile on my face...!:biggrin:

Cut them down and slice them in half, we would like to see what you've got (those burls, off-course...!:eek::wink:)

Cheers
George

NittanyLion

Doug,

Here is some willow burl I sent Mike:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/willow-burl-pa-nh-115203/

I've also attached a pic of some willow burl I cut last year. It "should" look something like this.....but you just never really know.

Willow around here, and looks like you are close, tends to produce many burls. Many Willows I see have dozens of burls on them.

Slice it up and show some pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 412

dwarmbrodt

Steve, yes you are correct this tree has many burls. This is the main trunk of that tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20140514_172401.jpg
    IMG_20140514_172401.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 172

steamshovel

talk about dying and going to Burl Heaven. You have Fort Knox in your backyard. I want to see a finished pen. Can a person cut the burls off the tree without doing any damage to the tree? I am impressed.

Preston

dwarmbrodt

OK, I went ahead and cut off a small burl. Now what do I do? I'm guessing I need to seal the exposed end and just wait?

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_162330413.jpg
    IMG_20140523_162330413.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 138

Jim Burr

Banned
Yup...seal it now and avoid the rush. Another option is to process it into blanks and seal those. DNA is another option but that's an entire different can of worms.

NittanyLion

Pen blanks can easily be dried. First Cut into blanks a little oversized, I cut 1". They will dry in about 1-2 days in the dehydrator. You can put them in a toaster oven At 125 degrees for a day or two. Lastly, you can use the microwave method: wrap with paper towel, nuke for 1:30, rest for 15 min, repeat several times.

Good luck!

Top Bottom