Nonslip razor handle finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Does anyone have experience with applying something to a PR razor handle to help the handle be less slippery when it gets wet? Maybe carnauba wax?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I've never had an issue with my razor handle being wet, and it's finished in CA ... which is a type of acrylic. High gloss polish.

You could try applying Turtle Wax Hard Shell, which is what I put on top of all my pens ... I put that on my razor handle as well.

magpens

Will be interested in reading the replies you get ... I had the same question.

dangre

I have been making and using PR handles and brushes for years. I micromesh all the way with no top coating and there is no slipping issue with plain water. The shaving soap now is a different story. It's quite slippery and even a deep knurl doesn't help much. Luckily, that's not much of an issue on the razor handle.

Dan

Skie_M

Mmmm ... been using mine for over a year. As I think back ... I never get any shaving lather on the handle, during use, or if any did I'ld immediately rinse it off next time I needed to clear the razor head.

My beard likes to grow rather thick, so I use a straight razor first, to get it down closer to my skin ... then I come back and get the thick areas that I missed with the safety razor, and finally when it's mostly gone, I grab the Mach 3 and get the rest. I apply lather 3 times, total, and usually shave about once a month.

mmayo

I have a razor with CA and a brush with eight coats of BLO/CA. I like the LOOK of the CA, but prefer the FEEL and grip of the BLO/CA. Both have been in use for years and look like new. People seem to buy more wood razor and shave sets with bocote outselling all others. I use BLO/CA and a couple if coats of TruOil on shave stuff I sell. Looks good and is grippable. Your mileage may vary. The person who posts about shave brushes is the man at making shave eye candy. His stuff is very glossy.

I have been fortunate to sell 12 3-5 piece shave sets in less than a year. At $125+ they are great for business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom