No success at turning bowl style

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I have had minimal success at turning non-spindles, that is, bowl blanks. I am not very good with the bowl gouge but the new Easy Wood rougher has opened a whole new world for me where I can actually shape something from a bowl blank.

I am interested in turning tea light holders and with the Easy Wood, I made one without a hitch until the end. I cannot seem to get the end grain to smooth out. In other words, on the side of my piece you can see rough spots where the end grain and the side grain meet. I used lacewood so that may have made it worse. What can I do for a better blend???

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

On some woods, the carbide tools just do not like the end grain. In that situtation, I tend to go to a very sharp skew and light cuts. Hope this helps.

Charles

Tieflyer

Carbide tools are great but they are scrapers, not cutters. I can get a much better surface with a properly shaped and sharpened bowl gouge. Take a class if possible, if not get a DVD or two. The one that made all the difference for me was Turning Bowls by Richard Raffan.

kovalcik

Carbides are nice but contrary to what the Easy Wood people would have you believe, they are not the best tool for everything. Learn to sharpen and use the bowl gouge. Then again, some end grain is just a pain. That's when you need to use the 80 Grit gouge.:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

+ 1 learn to sharpen. Carbides are nice in the stable, but get some good gouges and scrapers.

It is a pain to learn to sharpen and learn the tool techniques but worth it.

Jim Burr

Banned
I love my carbide...but only use it on certain things. As with anything else, practice practice practice. Sheer cut works well on end grain and work even better with sharp tools.

randyrls

I cannot seem to get the end grain to smooth out. In other words, on the side of my piece you can see rough spots where the end grain and the side grain meet. I used lacewood so that may have made it worse. What can I do for a better blend???

Carmen; If you are not already a member of a local turning club, find one and join! Check the AAW web site here for a listing of clubs in your area. Most (all?) clubs have people willing and anxious to mentor you. Many clubs have seminars with world class turners. Last fall David Ellsworth presented at our club and I learned a lot! In a few weeks Liam O'Neill will demonstrate how to attach a chain saw to your tool post and use it as a hollowing tool! No foolin' :eek:

Top Bottom