No shop time for awhile...... :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I had a total knee replacement yesterday (left knee). Once it is somewhat healed I'll have the right one done. Hobbling around with a walker is not fun but having my wonderful wife doing anything she can possibly do to make me more comfortable is great. I may come out of this strong, healthy and SPOILED! :p

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lederer3617

Been there, done that. Work it hard, take the pain killers for a few days only, keep moving with physical therapy and watch lots of woodturning videos. Sorry to spoil your day but GO BLUE.

jjjaworski

Good luck with the rehab. It is always best to get these type of things taken care of. Hopefully you will be able to do more of those simple things we take for granted soon.

mbroberg

And so the segmenting of Mike begins. Did you find out what glue he uses? What kind of cutting jig? Hope you turn out. ;)

Pete

He did say he had a special jig he used while drilling a hole down the center of the bone to attach one of the segments! ;)

magpens

Happy REHAB, Mike !!

Been there, done that, also ..... well, not quite, but pretty close .... two hips for me !!

Ya wanna swap segments ? . I'll give you a worn out hip prosthesis for a brand-new knee !! . . . COA included !!! . . . LOL !! 😀 😉:eek:

howsitwork

There was a tv show about that wasn't there? "We have the technology to rebuild this man"..

Hope recovery is rapid, remind you're wife she's getting a new man in instalments ! a mini athe could fit on the sideboard in the house.... just saying 🤫

BarryE

Speedy recovery Mike, Have this in my near future also...everybody tells me I will wonder why I waited so long after it's over.

howsitwork

Just to cheer you up my mum has Two knees and a hip replaced and ever time she flys she gets body searched as the scanners pick up the implants ! Despite it being noted and declared .

So there's a whole new experience to look forward to ! 😳

I strongly suggest you provide your own gloves to the officers involved !😉

mbroberg

I've been doing the PT diligently. It hurts but I must say that even after only 4 days there is a noticeable improvement in range of motion and strength. So far the advice that I would have for those of you planning to have this done, start strengthing your leg well in advance of the surgery. Much of the pain that I am experiencing is the type normally experienced after exercising a muscle that hasn't been worked in a while.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've been doing the PT diligently. It hurts but I must say that even after only 4 days there is a noticeable improvement in range of motion and strength. So far the advice that I would have for those of you planning to have this done, start strengthing your leg well in advance of the surgery. Much of the pain that I am experiencing is the type normally experienced after exercising a muscle that hasn't been worked in a while.

Excellent advice Mike! Keep up the "physical torture" as my PT daughter says. 🤭 .

mbroberg

For those of you who have knee replacements in their future, and asked to be kept to date on the progress of mine, I'm happy to report that it is going much better than I expected. It has been just over 4 weeks since the procedure. Within a week I was walking with a cane instead of a walker. I got rid of the cane about a week and a half after that. I still do not have a complete range of motion yet but I see improvement every day. I rarely take any pain medication and when I do it is OTC Extra Strength Tylenol. The scar is disappearing rapidly. I can do stairs, going down is much harder than coming up. I played around in the shop a little bit today for the first time in over a month. :)

So far I have no regrets and look forward to having the other knee done in the near future, maybe next month. I heard all the horror stories before I had the procedure and can tell you that so far, it has been nowhere near as bad as expected. I will say though that I can not imagine getting both knees done at the same time. The first two days were the worse and if both knees had been done I don't know if it would even be possible to go home on the same day as the surgery.

jttheclockman

Thank you for the report and good to hear. My brother had his done about 2 years ago and it did not go as well as yours. But he is getting there. Still walks with a limp. I have one in the future for sure. Keep following the drs orders and hope you get back in the shop full time again. Stay safe.

That was indeed good news. My sister in law had her knew replaced earlier this year and hasn't complained any at all... plus my older sister had her second knee done about April... she still uses the cane, but lives alone and seems to be getting along well with them... she did say she can't mow her lawn anymore.... but she is 81 years old.
My wife had her right hip done in 2008, the second hip last year.... she gets around okay, she also has to use a cane, but she's also got other issues with her back that requires that.... she had a septic infection in 2013 that put her in hospital and nursing center for about 5 months and left her with a couple of fused vertebrae that gives her lots of back pain.... she's 76.

Top Bottom