No Purell - Try this!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A message from "Wifey" (my friendly retired Chemist). Due to shortages of "Name Brand" Purell - Here's an easy substitute.

"Purell is 50-70% Ethanol, plus a thickener (Wifey's company made this), and usually a hand moisturizer.

Just buy 70% Isopropyl Alcohol from the pharmacy! Same sanitizing effectiveness. Purell needs the Ethanol as it is easier to add the thickener to make it a gel. Use a thin hole to use, don't simply open the bottle and pour out due to unnecessary waste (but at $2.00/bottle not really an issue). Put some on a paper towel and wipe your hands, surfaces, etc..."

Oh, if you don't like the Isopropyl Alcohol. Cheap Vodka is 40% alcohol... Close enough.
And if you have a "home still" use the first cut (the stuff you can't drink)... DAMHIK (Great for cleaning my lathe and tools and leaves a nice cozy smell in the shop).

Stay safe folks, some precautions are easily solved.

IMG_1631.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The alcohol is is a good idea, but the vodka won't work. Per Tito's Vodka:

Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol" and that Tito's is 40% alcohol so it "does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC.

Besides, who wants to waste Vodka! :confused:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for this, but it won't work in my house!😏

LOML believes all the soap - cleaning - disinfecting ads. Even when I show her the contents of the two different brands or the same brand with different "purposes" - it is all the same, but she thinks they are all different on purpose, or the company would not have made different versions! (Don't tell her I said that.)🤫

There IS a personality type that believes ALL that is written in an ad, or on the internet, or . . . ! And that same personality type that believes the "salesman" knows it all because he is a professional, and that is his job, therefore he knows more than husband, friend, etc. 😵

LOOK at the CONTENTS and compare - I always ask her. She still believes the front label wording!

For wipes:
I personally prefer the gallon jugs of bleach and watering a portion down for table and counter wipes. I do realize that some people should not do that! Kinda like that old red neck quote from 50 years ago: "Bubba, put down that wheel barrow, you know you don't know 'nuthin 'bout machinery!"

MTViper

When in doubt, bleach it out. A 1:10 solution of bleach and water will kill pretty much anything. It's listed as a field expedient solution for killing hantavirus and HIV. Will also work on Corona virus.

Lysol Spray lists Corona virus as one of the many viruses it will kill right on the label. You can also get Chlorox or Lysol wipes Keep some in my shop all the time.

TonyL

My wife saw this recipe on the news (unassuming the sources can be trusted):
  • 2/3 cup isopropol alcohol (Wal-Mart)
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera (Wal-mart)
  • 10 drops of lavender or any fragrant essential oil.

It is very thin and designed to be use in a spray/atomizer bottle.

We made bunch. Don't know if it will work.

monophoto

We made some by mixing isopropyl alcohol with a gel baby oil that contained aloe vera. The problem is that alcohol doesn't want to mix with baby oil (mineral oil), so it has to be shaken before using, but otherwise it seems work as well as Purell.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My wife saw this recipe on the news (unassuming the sources can be trusted):
  • 2/3 cup isopropol alcohol (Wal-Mart)
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera (Wal-mart)
  • 10 drops of lavender or any fragrant essential oil.
It is very thin and designed to be use in a spray/atomizer bottle.

We made bunch. Don't know if it will work.

We made some by mixing isopropyl alcohol with a gel baby oil that contained aloe vera. The problem is that alcohol doesn't want to mix with baby oil (mineral oil), so it has to be shaken before using, but otherwise it seems work as well as Purell.

These are adding a softener, should be fine.

Also, for general surface cleaning - A bleach and water combination is commonly used in day care center sanitization. Spray it on, don't wipe off. Let it dry. Mix new amounts daily. Bleach/water Ratios.

monophoto

Also, for general surface cleaning - A bleach and water combination is commonly used in day care center sanitization. Spray it on, don't wipe off. Let it dry. Mix new amounts daily. Bleach/water Ratios.

Good point.

Something that I wasn't aware of until this past weekend - all bleaches are not created equal. Chlorox is packaged in various concentrations, some intended for laundry purposes, and others intended to be diluted for cleaning purposes. So it's wise to read the label on the container.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good point.

Something that I wasn't aware of until this past weekend - all bleaches are not created equal. Chlorox is packaged in various concentrations, some intended for laundry purposes, and others intended to be diluted for cleaning purposes. So it's wise to read the label on the container.

Also a good point.

And be mindful of the surface. Some metal surfaces may see some pitting. But, another tool that is available.

walshjp17

While your at it, just get some Duck (Duct) tape and use that. After all, it solves so many problems. Just wrap your nose, mouth, ears and eyes as well as your hands with it. Now you won't be bothered by any annoying or dangerous pseudo-solutions you hear about on the Internet. As far as home made solutions: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-us-shop-owner-charged-115628698.html.

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Oh, if you don't like the Isopropyl Alcohol. Cheap Vodka is 40% alcohol... Close enough.
And if you have a "home still" use the first cut (the stuff you can't drink)... DAMHIK (Great for cleaning my lathe and tools and leaves a nice cozy smell in the shop).

Stay safe folks, some precautions are easily solved.

View attachment 234906

Great idea Mark. I wonder if Vodka works from the inside out? I have my own theories about this virus but I'll keep them to myself other than to say, question the press on this. On a positive note, my wife and I were in Costco on Monday and they've restricted the amounts of TP, hand sanitizer, diapers and a few other items to two cases. However, they think the virus will be over at the end of April as at that time they will lift the restrictions.🤣

Curly

If you use the duct tape and change it too often you won't have any eyebrows and eyelashes left leaving people will think you are undergoing Chemo. Then the contaminated buggers will try to give you sympathy hugs.

The real problem arises when you grab the bottle of sanitizer, squirt it on you hands, put it down and rub your hands. Now you can't pick up the bottle to put it away because the outside is still contaminated. It'll turn you into a Howard Hughes locked in your room surrounded by tissues and orange peels! :eek:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great idea Mark. I wonder if Vodka works from the inside out? I have my own theories about this virus but I'll keep them to myself other than to say, question the press on this. On a positive note, my wife and I were in Costco on Monday and they've restricted the amounts of TP, hand sanitizer, diapers and a few other items to two cases. However, they think the virus will be over at the end of April as at that time they will lift the restrictions.🤣

It was the same for our local Costco yesterday. However, it was amusing to see what others were stocking up on. One young couple had TP, water and 3 boxes of... condoms. Hey, stay hydrated and happy 🤭 .

pshrynk

One of the advantages of being a social phobic is that you can just follow day to day patterns and stay safe. Any social conact beyond on-line forums is superfluous. :cool:

Some days I'd like to go back in time ans slap that moron 18 year old who thought it would be a good idea for me to become a professional who has to be in contact with people all day. :p

It was the same for our local Costco yesterday. However, it was amusing to see what others were stocking up on. One young couple had TP, water and 3 boxes of... condoms. Hey, stay hydrated and happy 🤭 .
Reminds me back when I first started in the forwarding business, we had a client that had an ex-pat station in the Seychelles. We had a contract to supply them with certain items... one item was regularly on the list -- 2 or 3 gross of condoms.

robutacion

Hi guys and gals.

This coronavirus issue is making me mad not because I'm worried about it but mad at the media/publicity and the behaviour of the general public based on their fear and one of the most intriguing thing to me since this "saga" as all started is what is happening in our supper-markets with people fighting over who gets the most or last toilet paper roll, no one seems to be able to explain to what one thing as to do with the other...? such stupidity, in my view...!

What is going on in our world...???

Cheers
George

howsitwork

what are they planning to do with all that toilet roll?
Advice in uk is. - if sick isolate yourself for 2 weeks but I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SITTING ON THE THRONE FOR TWO WEEKS .
Get turning guys but let's help redress the trade balance ! Make rice bowls , there's a large market all sat at home isolating !

sbwertz

Went to my husband's diabetes doctor yesterday. She said he is a prime candidate for complications of coronavirus...81 years old, heart issues (triple bypass), and diabetic. So she told him to avoid crowds, and said I should wash my hands and use hand sanitizer and change my clothes as soon as I get home when I go out in public. So far only 9 cases in AZ. No deaths. She said it is not particularly dangerous unless you have other conditions. About like a bad cold.

sbwertz

I use Clorox Cleanup for both my kitchen and bathroom, every day. It has enough bleach to kill germs on contact, plus enough soap to clean surfaces. I buy it by the gallon at Sam's club. My son recommended it. He is a microbiologist (teaching at Yale...mama bragging a bit) and they use it in the lab. They deal with some pretty nasty organisms in there.

howsitwork

thanks for the practical advice Sharon. There are similar products over here . Major problem is there are no defining symptoms to know whether you've got a regular cold, influenza type cold or corona type cold.

Best tips so far seem to be avoid touching your mouth or nose unless you've washed your hands first. Most bugs are transmitted from contact with hard surfaces via hands to mouth or nose. I've been trying to monitor how often I touch my face with my hands, it's surprising how you just do it unconsciously . Trying to stop eg wetting your fingers to separate a plastic bag or improve your finger grip on something is a lot harder than you think.

Stay healthy and safe

sbwertz

That is one of the reasons I sometimes wear a surgical mask when I am out and about these days. If I reach up to touch my face the mask is in the way and reminds me not to do that!

Top Bottom