"No more room" drawers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

I think we all have this problem, not enough room!
I had a bunch of machining tools laying around on top of benches that needed to be put away so I startred looking around and the only place I could find was here...

IMG_9241.JPG

So I made a cabinet and some drawers that fit underneath...
IMG_9242.JPG

I made the handles out of 1/2" drill rod...
IMG_9243.JPG

It's all birch plywood and the drawers are trimmed with Padauk to hide the plywood edges...
IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_9245.JPG

IMG_9246.JPG

The drawer slides are the "Soft Close" type, real smooth...
IMG_9248.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WarEagle90

Well done, Rick. The Padauk trim around the drawer fronts provides a nice accent to the birch but the drawer pulls make the statement that these were made by professional craftsman. Do you treat the drill rod with anything to keep it from rusting?

rherrell

Well done, Rick. The Padauk trim around the drawer fronts provides a nice accent to the birch but the drawer pulls make the statement that these were made by professional craftsman. Do you treat the drill rod with anything to keep it from rusting?
Thanks Dan. My shop is climate controlled so rust isn't an issue. The drill rod I used is the same material I use to make my toolposts and I tell my customers to use a light coat of wax to prevent rust. Drill rod is NOT stainless, it's rust "resistant" but will rust in heavy humidity.

EricRN

I think we all have this problem, not enough room!
I had a bunch of machining tools laying around on top of benches that needed to be put away so I startred looking around and the only place I could find was here...

View attachment 335101
So I made a cabinet and some drawers that fit underneath...
View attachment 335102

I made the handles out of 1/2" drill rod...
View attachment 335103
It's all birch plywood and the drawers are trimmed with Padauk to hide the plywood edges...
View attachment 335104

View attachment 335105

View attachment 335106
The drawer slides are the "Soft Close" type, real smooth...
View attachment 335107
Nice set up Rick. Yet another example of someone on this forum making shop furniture that is nicer than what I got in my house! Love the padauk. I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the deep red that develops with time over the bright orange on fresh sawn wood.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have the same problem Rick. Which I've put off for too long. Those are very nice drawers. Thanks for the link on the closers.

rherrell

Thanks Bryan!

It's a Precision Matthews 1340GT...

I removed all the wiring and replaced it with a VFD and a new Made in the USA Marathon motor, no more gear changes for changing speeds!! :) I also installed a DRO PROS digital readout so no more backlash and reading dials!:)

I made the stand myself, I need it that low because I'm disabled and have to sit to do all my work.

Top Bottom