No more braking spoons...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi everyone

One of the things that gets eaten daily is, some nice ice cream after dinner. When I say, "gets eaten" I should say, "I eat it", and the kitchen is running out of normal spoons.

You see, I got these nice cutlery set with some sort of acrylic handles that looked really pretty and quality steal but, and particularly the spoons in the set are not made for scooping frozen, some times hard as rock ice cream so, and regularly a spoon gets broken after it bended half a dozen times in a 90 degree shape.

Surely, the kitchen set was getting reduced, even tough we only need 2 of each (spoons, forks, knifes, etc), is not funny to try eating soup with a spoon badly bended, knowing that straighten it up, would possible be once too many times and endup in 2 pieces, is no fun eating soup with a spoon and no handle...!:eek::mad: so, I decided to look for a ice cream scoop kit to make one myself but, I couldn't find any supplier in Australia that sells them so and after looking at the USA suppliers, I had 2 choices but the freight charged to send one of these things to me was totally ridiculous so I waited, and waited to need some other stuff from the States and get my reliable friend David Keller to get all these goodies for me.

I just received a box full of them after some considerable time from my end of deliberation on what to get and then David getting these items from different locations, making the gathering of the whole stuff a slow but sure thing.

Anyway, I certainly didn't forget the order the ice cream scoop and last night I decided to get the handle done and glue it all together. I use one of my preferred woods for these type things, the She/Bull-Oak branch log, a little texturing for gripping and one coat sanding sealer and the finishing coat with Floorseal...!

Now, I reckon will be the end of the broken spoons but the problems is not solved yet as I have to get another set or replace at least the number of spoons the set comes with of 12! Oh well, such life...!

I hope you like it...!!!

PS: The handle won't brake, guaranteed...! :biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_1169.jpg
    100_1169.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_1170.jpg
    100_1170.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_1168.jpg
    100_1168.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Nice scoop George. The Textured center piece goes well and gives it a tactile look/feel.

As far as your broken spoons turn some of your nice resins as the handles, Matching sets.

robutacion

Nice scoop George. The Textured center piece goes well and gives it a tactile look/feel.

As far as your broken spoons turn some of your nice resins as the handles, Matching sets.

I'm afraid, the small amount of metal let on the spoon side, less that 1" would need extending/welding some how, it would be useless trying to use then as they are. In fact, and even with the difficulty mentioned, all broken spoons have been thrown in the rubbish bin so, nothing to "restore"

The new scoop tough, was tried for the first time this evening and my wife is amazed of how much easier is to prepare a serve (I mean a bowl full for "moi"...!:biggrin:)

Sometimes feels good to be able to things this simple that can make such a big difference, and I could list 1.000 other simple solutions for things that annoy or get up our nerves every day of our life's, huh...???

PS: thank you for the pleasant comments...!

Cheers
George

David Keller

Nicely done, George. I'm glad you're able to put that stuff to use. With the temperatures you've had lately, ice cream is more a necessity than a luxury! I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't posted a pic of the item you were going to turn for you wife!:eek::biggrin::biggrin: I'm still laughing about that one.

robutacion

Nicely done, George. I'm glad you're able to put that stuff to use. With the temperatures you've had lately, ice cream is more a necessity than a luxury! I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't posted a pic of the item you were going to turn for you wife!:eek::biggrin::biggrin: I'm still laughing about that one.

Don't you push me or I will do it just for kicks...!!!:eek::wink::biggrin:

PS: I would be a little concern in doing that mate, I could just make someone here realise/see the possibilities...!:eek::rolleyes:

Cheers
George

Chris Bar

George
Nice handles; the she oak is easily recognized...now that I have used it for pens.
How long are the tangs that go into the handle? I had wanted to make ice cream spoons with wood handles but only found spoons with short tangs, would cause breakout from the handle I'm sure.
Thanks for showing your nice works.
Chris

robutacion

George
Nice handles; the she oak is easily recognized...now that I have used it for pens.
How long are the tangs that go into the handle? I had wanted to make ice cream spoons with wood handles but only found spoons with short tangs, would cause breakout from the handle I'm sure.
Thanks for showing your nice works.
Chris

Well Chris, this one come from PSI and the tang is about 2" long. I did have the same reaction when I saw them in the pic but, in person they are a lot more robust and bigger that they look. It as all glued with epoxy, ring and tang, I doubt ice cream could ever brake this spoon, regardless of how solid it can be...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom