No marijuana plants were harmed to make this pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

Well maybe they were, but after reading here about the difficulties in turning hemp I decided it was a challenge. Challenge met! This was a rush job as I work at the Gallery n Gifts today and just received the blanks yesterday. I'll make more and love the wild figure and colors.

It is chippy so bring sharp tools and a light even touch. It responded well to HSS, round carbide and 2" radius square carbide. Like inlace acrylester you might turn the edges carefully first and then thin the middle.

The finish is 4 coats thin CA and 8 medium coats. Flushed up after CA and four coats of thin CA to the ends to seal everything. Sanded with 400 grit and buffed on the Beale buff.

If you've mastered inlace acrylester give this turning challenge a try.

Attachments

• B0033597-4B8F-4715-8669-50FFF15821AE.jpeg
    B0033597-4B8F-4715-8669-50FFF15821AE.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 12787B03-7FF4-4241-9932-74B2552E3793.jpeg
    12787B03-7FF4-4241-9932-74B2552E3793.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 3C4B46CB-26D5-4BD4-AA1A-075BD7F6C12E.jpeg
    3C4B46CB-26D5-4BD4-AA1A-075BD7F6C12E.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

That looks sharp! Where did you get the blank?

I've read that buying the 5" squares and cutting them is more economical than buying blanks. Keep that in mind please.

qquake

I've read that buying the 5" squares and cutting them is more economical than buying blanks. Keep that in mind please.
Shipping is $13 for a $15 piece of wood. Too steep for me.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mine are shipped, so I look forward to turning a few. I also bought the larger blocks.

Thanks for the turning suggestions, will be followed.

qquake

This place has stabilized blanks listed. Should be easier to turn.

JohnU

This place has stabilized blanks listed. Should be easier to turn.

ImThese blanks have so much adhesive of some type holding all of those pieces together that I wonder if stabilizing juice would penetrate enough to make a difference. Will have to stabilize some to see.
ImThese blanks have so much adhesive of some type holding all of those pieces together that I wonder if stabilizing juice would penetrate enough to make a difference. Will have to stabilize some to see.

also, Ed at Exoticblanks's was just posting about it wondering if there was a "want". He said he currently has some so I think we will be able to get it from them also!

qquake

also, Ed at Exoticblanks's was just posting about it wondering if there was a "want". He said he currently has some so I think we will be able to get it from them also!
I'd rather purchase it from Ed. Reel Lumber has "rift" and "plain" sawn listed, whatever that means.

JohnU

I just seen Exoticblanks has it listed now. Several sizes to pick from.

penicillin

I'd rather purchase it from Ed. Reel Lumber has "rift" and "plain" sawn listed, whatever that means.
"Rift Sawn" is the straight grain look. "Face Sawn" is the twisted grain, "burl" look. The Hempwood website calls it "Face Sawn", but Reel Lumber calls it "Plain Sawn" - it is the same "burl" look.

Both grain patterns come from the same block of hempwood. It depends on how you cut it. When you buy hempwood lumber, you can choose which look you want on the board face and it is cut accordingly.

Pen blanks are symmetrical, so there is no need to choose a "look" - you get both looks in every blank. As you rotate the pen blanks, alternate faces on the same pen blank will have alternating looks. They blend together as you turn the pen on the lathe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom