NIP WIP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

A couple of years back I picked up 3 logs of Norfolk Island Pine. I turned the smallest of the 3 pretty soon after I picked them up, but it was a little more green/wet than I wanted it to be... so I put the other 2 back for a year or so.... today I tried one of them... this is a vase I turned today... it's still a work in progress... need to do a finish, but the turning is done.

Attachments

• DSCF5380.jpg
    DSCF5380.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF5381.jpg
    DSCF5381.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

cant wait to see those finished! love the color variety in that one piece, nature gives us some really pretty stuff to play with! What sort of finish can we expect?

Last edited:
cant wait to see those finished! love the color variety in that one piece, nature gives us some really pretty stuff to play with! What sort of finish can we expect?

Not sure yet on the finish... thinking a nice polyurethane.... I've been playing with some tung oil, but I think it darkens woods slightly and would like to keep the light tones in this piece....

I put a sanding sealer on the first piece under the poly, but it turned the piece more yellow than I wanted... the SS was supposed to be clear.

Right now it's too cold in the shop to do much of anything in the way of finish... I did a couple of pepper mills when it was cold and the finish didn't dry for 3 days.... poly will usually dry in an hour when the temp is warmer.

Top Bottom