Nine From Ash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Last week a previous visitor to my booth called and asked if I could make rings out of a baseball bat. Sure, says I. Well he dropped the bat ff at the house and asked for nine rings sized 5 through 13. I quoted him a price, which he paid up front. Not my cup of tea, however it is what he wanted. I have enough for 10-15 more rings and up to 5 Sierra type pens from the bat handle. Hoping he wants them. I still have some residual glue to clean up from the inside.
A6E9C4C5-01F6-43DC-A2DC-84213B526FCC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice. Ash is an interesting timber that I found nice to turn. I have liked the open grain with just enough of a stain to accent the pores. Thanks for sharing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm picking up some ash this weekend from my daughter in Missouri. She had 4 trees die from the emerald ash borer. I have a chainsaw mill and will mill one of the trees - that died last year.

We had an ash blow down on the road that runs along the river... it fell across the road and someone cut it enough to move off the road... I took my chain saw and picked up all of the tree that would fit in my truck... except one log that rolled down the bank to the river edge... too steep to try to retrieve, so suppose it floated away next time the river rose from the rain.... it's spalted some now and I get some pretty nice bowls out of it...

jcm71

We had an ash blow down on the road that runs along the river... it fell across the road and someone cut it enough to move off the road... I took my chain saw and picked up all of the tree that would fit in my truck... except one log that rolled down the bank to the river edge... too steep to try to retrieve, so suppose it floated away next time the river rose from the rain.... it's spalted some now and I get some pretty nice bowls out of it...
Glad to see you are still turning, Chuck. Hope to see you again down at the market.

bzahn

I'm picking up some ash this weekend from my daughter in Missouri. She had 4 trees die from the emerald ash borer. I have a chainsaw mill and will mill one of the trees - that died last year.
Sorry for the loss of the trees. The borers have spread through almost all of our 114 counties. Greene, Christian and Webster are among the affected.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sorry for the loss of the trees. The borers have spread through almost all of our 114 counties. Greene, Christian and Webster are among the affected.
My daughter is in Ozark/Christian County. Something has come up so that I can't go this weekend. Probably be 1st weekend in October, but I am going to get my wood. She managed to save two trees - had the arborist treat the two with the most growth, both of which still had 75% of their foliage.

Top Bottom