Nightstands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

My neighbor bought a new bed and it's really high so she needed some 30" tall nightstands...CHEAP! (don't they ALL!)

I decided to get some Poplar and dye it dark brown to match her headboard. I used General Finishes waterbased dye and applied it with a spray gun. The pics seem to highlight the color differences but it's really not that bad....HONEST!:rolleyes:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

On the advice of a friend I bought some waterbased lacquer....BOY DO I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!

attachment.php

It's made to spray but I'll bet it would work for dipping. I sprayed it and it's almost impossible to make a mistake. What makes this different than most other waterbased coatings is it has the same "burn in" properties of regular solvent based lacquers. That means you don't need to sand between coats which is a BIG +.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 574
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 591
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 578
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 581
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

We had a contract to do a bunch of candle stands for a company that markets to churches where we also had to use poplar and dye and stain it to look like Mahogany. We called it Popogany!! :):biggrin:

Nice work as always Rick!

Boz

Very nice work. Have not yet mastered making dovetail joints yet. I should put this on my to do list for the coming year.

jttheclockman

Very well done. Dovetail drawers too. That little extra goes a long way. I too use that finish all the time. Many good points to using it. The best is water cleanup. Also the fumes won't kill you like nitro lacquer will. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom