Night light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PBorowick

PBorowick

This is one of several that I have made but the first one that I turned on my lathe. These are fun and it's great to see the kids (and adults) faces when the plug them in!

Attachments

• 20191220_001252.jpg
    20191220_001252.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 20191220_001233.jpg
    20191220_001233.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

I just realized that the image makes it look like the finish no complete on the lower 2/3 but that is the color "clouds" inside the resin. The finish is clear as glass.

howsitwork

I'm intrigued as to how and if you integrate the lights into the resin or below it to light through it?

Any clues?

PBorowick

@howsitwork You are living up to your name, LOL.
The light is below the resin. I cast the resin and the wood base together, then hollow out the base. I turned a thin walnut cap that covers the bottom and has the LED mounted on it. I glue that to the bottom of the base to close it all up.
I've been messing with these for awhile and I have no problem sharing how I do it. I'm not going to claim these are my idea...to be honest I have no idea if it is or not.
If you would like any other info let me know.

howsitwork

Thanks for sharing that, naturally nosey was the other name I considered !

A car type " angel eyes ring" might look really cool and I have a spare one having made a ring light around my pillar drill spindle so that's a new year project for me.

Have a good one !

Ian

PBorowick

I'll take pictures of the one I am doing this weekend and post them.
I looked at the angel eyes rings but they seemed way too bright for the size of these night lights. I will also post a list of the materials that I use.

howsitwork

But what if you put the angel eyes around the top like a lighthouse veranda shining down into the rein or at the bottom " in the waves" shining up to the top ? Shaded from the outside but the inner resin reflections could be stupendous! Or it might be a total load of cobblers but no try no find out !

Top Bottom