Nice and simple does it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I wanted to start off the new year revisiting some simple designs, as a departure from the more complex builds I had been doing. These are a couple I made in tortoise shell acetate and bronze clip, and a custom pour red/black alumilite with silver clip. I cast the clips using wax models, and chose a hidden ring construction for them. The pens are around 5" nib to barrel end, and have double start 12.5x 2mm pitch threads. The octagonal bodies and caps are tapered slightly, by about 2 degrees.These are a good exercise in form, and have been quite popular with buyers. Both pens use jowo 6 nibs and are converter filled. 2B58DECF-F2A5-48CD-9D08-236FBD76637B.jpeg
7225E8A8-049E-4719-B286-6BC0A5DD3534.jpeg
11C27DDF-8145-478F-AB9E-93E0E35C6552.jpeg
7DBDD31A-837C-4D20-A149-95CA0B8AEC01.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Beautiful! If you don't mind me asking - I am curious how you cut the flats? I can think of a couple different methods - share as much or as little as you like

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Superb artistry John. I will comment that I like the darker sections. I am not a fountain pen user, so that is a strong disadvantage to the validity of my comments; and that is fine.
Aesthetically, I like blanks that have no ink window; yes, I understand that for FB users this is an element that is preferred at times. However, in this pen, the profiling with the octagonal barrel shape is wonderful, tapers are an added pucker factor. I like the profile, darker blanks, no window... Very nice. You are a Master! I love your work.

PenHog

This is a beautiful pen.

I have a design question: your cap threads have what looks like roughly 2mm of "non-threads" before meeting the section. That is, there is a small un-threaded portion before the point where the section screws/unscrews.

I think this looks nice, but is there a design reason (beyond aesthetics) for this?

jalbert

This is a beautiful pen.

I have a design question: your cap threads have what looks like roughly 2mm of "non-threads" before meeting the section. That is, there is a small un-threaded portion before the point where the section screws/unscrews.

I think this looks nice, but is there a design reason (beyond aesthetics) for this?
No real practical reason the threads don't go all the way back to where the barrel becomes faceted. You only need a few threads anyway to keep the amount of cap turns down when you remove the cap, and 1/2" worth of threads would look pretty bad, aesthetically.

PenHog

No real practical reason the threads don't go all the way back to where the barrel becomes faceted. You only need a few threads anyway to keep the amount of cap turns down when you remove the cap, and 1/2" worth of threads would look pretty bad, aesthetically.
Sorry, I wrote my question badly. I meant the portion highlighted in the dotted red. The threads stop just short of the seam where the barrel meets the section (it looks like). But I suspect the answer is the same..

Attachments

• question-pen.jpg
    question-pen.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 114

jalbert

Sorry, I wrote my question badly. I meant the portion highlighted in the dotted red. The threads stop just short of the seam where the barrel meets the section (it looks like). But I suspect the answer is the same..
No real reason. Just my preference for a transition from section to threads.

Top Bottom